Analogue timer resistor.

Discussion in 'Technical Repair' started by mercian, May 24, 2018.

1. mercian

Thread Starter New Member

May 24, 2018
    Hi, As you'll see electrics are not my field of expertise. My problem is the (now obsolete and unobtainable) Suavier 346 mechanical timer on my boiler failed and on opening for closer inspection it turned out that the lead to the motor was detached from the resistor connecting it to the live terminal (240v) . The resistor has clearly been running hot for some time, uniformly pale in colour the only marking is the letter J, with an ohmeter set at 20k the reading is 19.2 .I've resoldered it and it runs quietly and fine, but the resistor becomes very hot. Looking at images of similar timers online I don't see any using such a resistor . I'm not keen on using as is, the insulation near the connection was baked and although I've trimmed it back it's suffered enough, so what next , replace the resistor ? If so, what value / type would you recommend . Any advice apart from ' get a new boiler' would be welcome. Thanks

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi mercian,
    Welcome to AAC.
    Could you post a photo of the resistor and its close surroundings.?
    E

3. mercian

May 24, 2018
    Correction . . . Suevia 346.

4. mercian

May 24, 2018

5. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
  6. mercian

May 24, 2018
    Thank you so much for your help Eric, it's much appreciated. It's a 2003 ICI Caldaie Solar micro 24F boiler that's served me well with no problems , I'd hate to let it go for something so minor. Thanks again.