amplifying a 5v digital signal to 13v digital

JCOX

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Is there a IC chip that the Vdd can be attached to 13v, that can receives a 5v to 0v digital signal and send the same digital signal out as 13V to 0v?

I have 6 digital inputs that need to be converted to 13v digital.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Is there a IC chip that the Vdd can be attached to 13v, that can receives a 5v to 0v digital signal and send the same digital signal out as 13V to 0v?

I have 6 digital inputs that need to be converted to 13v digital.
The 7406 and 7407 chips are inverting and noninverting (respectively) buffers (6 of them) with open collector outputs. The open collector output allows you to apply higher voltage to the output side. You still need to power the chip with the lower voltage (5 VDC), but you have more freedom on the output.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/50893/FAIRCHILD/7407.html

JCOX

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Thank You. Can you elaborate how it takes a Vcc of 5v and amplify it to 13v at the outputs?

Here's what I want to do but use an IC instead of 12 separate transistors:

5-13.jpg

JCOX

Joined Nov 29, 2011
the signal will change, the fastest would be 2.5ms, and the 13v load is going to a gate of a FET (IRF540), so not much current is needed at all.

JCOX

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Hello,

Would it not be better to use a logic gate mosfet like the IRL540?
I have attached both datasheets for comparison.

Bertus
I thought the minimum gate source was 10V, can I us these to put 5v to the gate and 13v to the source?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would use the 7406 or 7407 chips as steveb suggested. They are cheap, will do what you want, and requires only one chip (and six resistors) to convert your six signals.

JCOX

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I would use the 7406 or 7407 chips as steveb suggested. They are cheap, will do what you want, and requires only one chip (and six resistors) to convert your six signals.

I'm having trouble understanding... with a 5v input what determines the 13v output? can you sketch a quick schematic so I can understand?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I'm having trouble understanding... with a 5v input what determines the 13v output? can you sketch a quick schematic so I can understand?
You use a pull up resistor on the output pin. Just tie that resistor to 13 VDC. The datasheet shows how to calculate the resistor value.

I don't know your application well enough to know if it will work well, but it is worth checking it out because the solution is very cheap and very convenient. I don't see any reason why it won't work given your low speed requirements, but you really need to prototype it and test it to be sure.