Amplifier between Class-D and speaker

Kurodani

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Hi!

I use a pre-configured DSP component that includes Class-D amplification and I want to further amplify the signal from the DSP before it reaches the speaker. The DSP has an output impedance of about 10 Ohm and the regulated voltage for driving the speaker is 0.9 V. The speaker has a nominal impedance of about 12.5-13 Ohm. The voltage available for the new amplifier I want to implement is somewhere around 3.5-4.0 V.

Can any one give any recommendations regarding how to amplify the signal and what component(s) to use? I was considering using another Class-D amplifier since I want this to be a power efficient process (it will be powered by batteries), but I feel like there must be a simpler solution right?

Kurodani

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Get another amplifier
Do you mean switching out the one I already have? That is not possible since it's internal in the DSP (which is unique to this solution and can't be replaced).

Or do you mean get one between the Class-D and the speaker? That's what I'm asking about. What component should I use? What kind of amplifier? Could you give me any recommendations? As most would want I need it to be small, low in power consumption and as powerful as possible (which is what almost everyone wants, right? ^^).

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
For each output channel, are there two outputs 180 degrees out of phase? If so, either one contains the entire audio signal content and can be used to drive a higher voltage / higher power switching stage.

ak

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Is the output of the DSP filtered or it is raw PWM signal? If the latter, you can simply use complementary switching transitors to switch a higher voltage. If it is filtered to be a smooth audio signal, use any power amplifier to increase the output.

Bob

Kurodani

Joined Sep 8, 2016
I believe it's a raw PWM signal. I've never used switching transistors, how would I use that to switch to a higher voltage?