Amp emulator tool

diesalweasel

Joined Aug 28, 2010
Hi dont know if this is possible or not. I have some manual resetable fuses. Ranging from 5 amp to 30 amps i want to test them. Is there anyway i can build a circuit to test them to see if they trip over there desired amp. Didn't know if i could make a circuit where i could adjust the amps i want to it pull. Thanks in advance regards james

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That is a lot of amps. Do you have any sort of power supply or transformer that can supply that much current?

East enough if you can get the instruments: Use a power supply with an adjustable current limit. Failing that get a adjustable power supply and a large low value resistor.

Apply the current or the voltage through a resistor in a step rather than cranking up the current or voltage by hand because you would probably get a lower tripping point if you "sneak up" on the tripping point.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Why do you want to test them?
Do you just want to know if they will trip or not or are you trying to work out the specific trip characteristics.. (aka.. this will trip in 2.4S at 120% over current and 1.2S at 140% over current,etc...)

Read the time curves on the datasheet for those specific manufacturers fuses if you just want to know what the tripping characteristics are.. They have done the work for you already..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'd use a bank of lightbulbs on switches. Just keep turning on more bulbs until it blows.

But I'm with @mcgyvr, why bother? It's no secret how these things behave.