AMD Class Action Lawsuit

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to the class action rip off. The lawyers get the money and the plaintiffs get pretty much nothing. The last one I was in on ( for milk price fixing) has now gone on for several years and my potential payout has gone from $24 to $6 to nothing. It’s a total scam where the attorneys find a friendly court and they get paid while the case goes on forever with no real chance of reward for the plaintif’s. Go ahead and register for one on these cases but don’t depend on it.
+1: Equifax breach settlement is the same.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
+1: Equifax breach settlement is the same.
That one really is bad. The judge/lawyers/company decided that credit monitoring was an adequate penalty. Not to me it’s not. That’s really nothing now isn’t it? How about some actual cash based on how much Equifax made off selling the data, and the like times 10. The more I learn about the legal system the less fair it seems and this kind of settlement is a perfect example.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again, a little update...

The last post here was in Feb of 2020 and the first post was in Nov 2019 and that tells you about how long ago it was when i got my settlement check for something like 30 dollars.

Well, the other day i just got my second settlement check, although i had no idea there would be a second one. I was so happy they finally made amends to the original problem. But then i saw the amount and i had to laugh a little. Are you ready to hear what amount this new check was for? You sure? :)

A whopping $1.75 USD. Yes that's right, a whole dollar and seventy five cents.
Wow, im rich! Now i can go out and buy a REAL cpu with eight REAL cores (of course that's if i can find one at the dollar store down the street) :)

Thought you all might like a laugh too, another laugh at some aspects of the justice system.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

The last post here was in Feb of 2020 and the first post was in Nov 2019 and that tells you about how long ago it was when i got my settlement check for something like 30 dollars.

Well, the other day i just got my second settlement check, although i had no idea there would be a second one. I was so happy they finally made amends to the original problem. But then i saw the amount and i had to laugh a little. Are you ready to hear what amount this new check was for? You sure? :)

Wow, im rich! Now i can go out and buy a REAL cpu with eight REAL cores (of course that's if i can find one at the dollar store down the street) :)

Thought you all might like a laugh too, another laugh at some aspects of the justice system.
In a maritime agency in a port in the East Cost, USA, maybe Newport News, I recall seeing a letter where the postal service was returning to a crew member for a service not rendered or something like that, the amount of 25 cents. Yes, a quarter.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
In a maritime agency in a port in the East Cost, USA, maybe Newport News, I recall seeing a letter where the postal service was returning to a crew member for a service not rendered or something like that, the amount of 25 cents. Yes, a quarter.
ha, that's funny too, and when someone owes you a quarter hunt them down like a dog (har har).

You know i have two bills that i pay each month that change by pennies from time to time. For example, one will be $10.79 for a few months, then switch to $10.80 for a few months, then back again and repeat all that again. I feel like calling them and telling them to charge me the latter EVERY month so i dont have to keep checking my bank statements (it's an autopay so i dont know the exact cost until it gets through the banking system). Maybe i'll think of a way to compensate on my end somehow.
You would think that the company(s) involved would not want that kind of change.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

Until reading your OP, I never heard before of a Class action. While those $1,75 sound way too small, I would like to know how many people were involved in the lawsuit? Just that could be enough to explain the care of paying such a small additional check.

Many years ago, to my question of what business would you like to do, somebody told me: let me sell one single cheap candy to every Chinese in China and after that I promise to retire.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Until reading your OP, I never heard before of a Class action. While those $1,75 sound way too small, I would like to know how many people were involved in the lawsuit? Just that could be enough to explain the care of paying such a small additional check.

Many years ago, to my question of what business would you like to do, somebody told me: let me sell one single cheap candy to every Chinese in China and after that I promise to retire.
Hi,

You could look up Dickey and Parmer v. AMD you might find more information, but it is not just about the number of class member participants though, it is also about the total amount. For example, if the settlement was for 11 million and there were 1 million participants then say 10 million was left for them that would mean each one gets 10 dollars, But if the amount being sought after is upped to 21 million, then they get 20 dollars each (well for each CPU that is), and if it is upped to 31million then get 30 dollars each, etc.
So the problem isnt really with the number of participants, it's that the total amount is not high enough. We might also ask what the damages really were too though. Perhaps they thought that the damages were not completely bad so they reduced the amount. I would think an amount was asked and then AMD fought it to get a lower amount so we ended up with less than 300 dollars which was the max for any one CPU.
Someone else i know also purchased one of the included CPU's and they did not get anything yet and the last court meeting was back in February of 2020 i think, which is more than a year ago now.