Ambient LED Camping/Festival project

mydigitalself

Joined Jul 17, 2006
Hi all,

It's been over 10 years since I last picked up a soldering iron, so I'm basically starting from scratch here and any comprehensive help would be much appreciated.

I'm going to an ambient music festival (The Big Chill) in about 3 weeks time with a large group of friends and wanted to make a really cool battery-powered mood light to hang from our gazebo to give our camp site a great atmosphere.

What I had in mind was putting 3 coloured LEDs into a fabric-covered ball and having them on different fade-in and fade-out sequences such that they continually make blended colours. I've seen a number of LEDs that seem to do this natively, but I want to make the sequence pretty slow and I think they all do it a lot faster. I'd also like some random timing sequences; so, for example, on the pink/purple LED it would fade in over around 5 seconds - stay on for between 1 and 2 minutes (randomish) and then fade out again and stay off for between 30 seconds and a minute. Add two more colours to the mix with a similar slightly random sequence and I think you'd have some really cool colour effects.

To get some brightness through the fabric, I'd probably need about 3-4 LEDs for colour sequence (wild guess).

If anyone has any suggestions, could point me in the right direction or was even kind enough to draw up a little circuit diagram for me that would rock.

Cheers
Mike