Am I seeing things or is this for real?

jamesd168

Joined Nov 8, 2014
well the price is good, but reasonable.

as you know, whether 20Mhz or 80Mhz, they probably used the same chip anyway. just like the oscilloscopes, the manufacturers deliberately use firmware to control the bandwidth so they can have products of different price.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Damn, I can't believe I actually made a good move.

I saw it -- and bought it. It will be here on Wednesday. $581.62. It is now $1895.00.

I seriously thought about buying both of the ones they had and then selling one on E-Bay for enough to pay for them both, but decided not to. It IS an discontinued item, so was a bit concerned that I might get stuck with both.

But looking forward to my new toy.

Thanks for posting it, zero coke.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Got the confirmation and tracking number that it has shipped, so barring something totally off the wall, it is a done deal. I was half expecting them to renege, but figured that since it was being stocked and fulfilled by Amazon directly, that Amazon would stand good for the advertised price if nothing else. That appears to be holding true. Also, they still have one in stock at $1895, so it appears that they truly didn't catch the pricing error until the first one was purchased. Kinda really wishing I had bought both. Oh well.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It arrived last night. I got an e-mail from Amazon the day before saying that my shipment had been delayed and my first thought was, "Oh no, they've held it up while they investigate a pricing discrepancy." But then I remembered that they had already sent a notification that it had shipped. Turned out the notification was just a broadband notice of delays in the UPS system due to the weather back east.

Haven't taken it out of the box yet -- scared to; I've got too many things that have to get done and once I start playing with a nice new toy....

Oh well, Spring Break isn't too far off.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It arrived last night. I got an e-mail from Amazon the day before saying that my shipment had been delayed and my first thought was, "Oh no, they've held it up while they investigate a pricing discrepancy." But then I remembered that they had already sent a notification that it had shipped. Turned out the notification was just a broadband notice of delays in the UPS system due to the weather back east.

Haven't taken it out of the box yet -- scared to; I've got too many things that have to get done and once I start playing with a nice new toy....

Oh well, Spring Break isn't too far off.
You better at least pull it out of the box and make sure it works. Otherwise you might miss the return window for Amazon if you pull it out of the box 2-weeks from now and find out it is DOA.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You better at least pull it out of the box and make sure it works. Otherwise you might miss the return window for Amazon if you pull it out of the box 2-weeks from now and find out it is DOA.
Good point. Guess what I will be doing this weekend?

Just gotta force myself to ONLY make sure it works. That's the tricky part!

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
Pictures man. :D I've shopped online for more than 20 years, and never heard of a seller taking a $1000 loss just to satisfy an order. Mis-pricing is always exempted in TOS pretty much with every retailer since they came up with putting prices on things.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Damn, I can't believe I actually made a good move.

I saw it -- and bought it. It will be here on Wednesday. $581.62. It is now $1895.00.

I seriously thought about buying both of the ones they had and then selling one on E-Bay for enough to pay for them both, but decided not to. It IS an discontinued item, so was a bit concerned that I might get stuck with both.

But looking forward to my new toy.

Thanks for posting it, zero coke.
the $581.62 price was a refurb price.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
the $581.62 price was a refurb price.
What do you base this on?

There was no indication in the listing that it was refurb -- especially when it was listed as New and not Used.

Also, they had two in stock, both at this price. But as soon as I placed the order (well, within about eight hours, anyway) it went to one in stock at the full $1895 price.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I just took the unit out of the box and I'd be rather surprised if it was a refurb. The box itself is the original box, including the original sticker with the unit's serial number on it. The documentation appears to be factory sealed, as do the accessory packets with the cords and such. The unit itself is in pristine condition with no signs of even minor handling. Plus, it has the manufacturer's original calibration and test report dated 01 Aug 2012. None of that makes it impossible that this is a refurbished unit, but I think it makes it highly unlikely.