Alternative part search; Smart card connector

3l3ctr0n1c5

Joined Apr 19, 2024
I am looking for alternative part/s for the following MFR part number:

CCM02-2504LFT T30 (C&K - acquired by Little fuse)

https://www.ckswitches.com/products/switches/product-details/SmartCard/CCM02 MK2/

The above part is/has gone EOL.

I have considered parts by Amphenol and TE Connectivity, but they would require a board re-spin due to recommended PCB layout differnces.

I fear I may need to approach a custom connector MFR. But, any advice/tips/part recommendations will be gratefully appreciated, thank you.

Also, as a discussion point, I guess products will migrate away from physical card connectors and move towards wireless communication methods i.e. NFC Bluetooth?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am looking for alternative part/s for the following MFR part number:

CCM02-2504LFT T30 (C&K - acquired by Little fuse)

https://www.ckswitches.com/products/switches/product-details/SmartCard/CCM02 MK2/

The above part is/has gone EOL.

I have considered parts by Amphenol and TE Connectivity, but they would require a board re-spin due to recommended PCB layout differnces.

I fear I may need to approach a custom connector MFR. But, any advice/tips/part recommendations will be gratefully appreciated, thank you.

Also, as a discussion point, I guess products will migrate away from physical card connectors and move towards wireless communication methods i.e. NFC Bluetooth?
I can’t help with sourcing the connector but on your latter point, it will depend on the application. Using a full sized Smart Card will become less and less common for applications that don’t demand it for other reasons (e.g.: access control, high security of some sort, &c.) Cards themselves are going away as smartphones become the repository for secure credentials.

Smart Cards have limited capacity for cryptographic exchanges, and can’t be updated to improve security without reissuing. The combination of crypto hardware and software in a smartphone is going to beat that hands down in cases where using one is acceptable.

As far as communications, even with cards, at this point NFC and other RFC technology seems to have a very good foothold. As far as Bluetooth, I don’t see it offers any advantage, and it certainly has disadvantages. BLE and Ultrawide Band does offer the possibility of “always on” devices that might be used for both access control and position tracking, but for what a card does today, Bluetooth doesn’t seem very likely.

This is my speculative take, YMMV, this is not an offer, professional on a closed track, the FDA hasn’t evaluated these claims, for entertainment purposes only, void where prohibited, known to the state of California to cause cancer, reply STOP to unsubscribe… &c.

3l3ctr0n1c5

Joined Apr 19, 2024
Good point regarding application requirements.

I also see the introduction of biometrics, especially in access control, as a factor that may spell the demise of full size smart cards too. Plus with everyone becoming more aware of the impact of plastics and plastic production processes, perhaps the uptake of cards will decline due to this too.

Smart phones do indeed seem to be the way forward, what with most people having one and the updatable nature of the stored information and processes.

Thanks for your response.