Alternating L.e.d.s

flanker07

Joined May 12, 2007
Hi. I'm a complete newbie to all electronic circuit board things etc... Please forgive me if I ask something silly. I do have a few questions:

I love airplanes and I have a few model diecast aircraft. I always wanted to install led lights on them just for fun. Green, red, white. I would like them to be fairly small and either alternating or flashing leds. I have no idea where to start. The closest I ever been to starting this project is by taking apart my mountain bikes flasher lights (red). The ones that you use at night. They alternate etc. This is the same exact concept I would like for my aircraft model. Would anyone suggest where I should start with this? books, links, radioshack? I would also prefer a simple on/off switch. If at all possible, I would love to have one where you can change the pattern by pressing the button. Please help!

Thanks.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
you can start by using a 555 timer configured in astable function. that's the simplest you can do. or you can go for a 4017 decade counter so you can have 10 leds.:)

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
mr Mozikluv's idea is a better one and it requires little knowledge abt electronics
i believe if you can somehow change connections of led using a multiple throw switch you might be able to change the pattern as well.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
if you feel that you can handle a micro i can suggest PIC16F84A:)

we can go farther, you can also source your command from the sound level of your engine rev. the higher the rev the faster the blink. it's just a crazy idea:)

moz

flanker07

Joined May 12, 2007
from my experience a microcontroller is a good way achieve this.
Hello. Would I be able to pick one up at radioshack? is there a specific model etc? Also, what about a switch and what kind of battery should be used if I want to use about 4 leds?

Thanks.

edit: I did some research on PIC16F84A and its all greek to me.. can anyone make it as simple as possible such as what I need to know before I even start. I'm sorry but I'm a complete newebie when comes to this .

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
lighting systems make use of microcontrollers,
i myself never got the opportunity to work on it (since its out of my field)
perhaps this year i wud, i think you will also need to know some programming
for it,
thats why i find mr Mozikluv's idea better.
abt the switch
if you know abt logic ckts u might be able to come up with a better idea. right now i think providing the o/p of counter thru a AND-OR combination
such that each led get a input from two or more ff O/p (the counter will have 4 o/p terminals)
let say each led gets i/p from 2 o/p (in any random order)
each i/p shud be then given thru an AND logic which is then ORed
all the AND gates can be enabled/disabled with the help of a common switch,
thus you can have two modes of flashing of led.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
I've been curious, why is a microcontroller often advised over more simple and cheaper alternatives? I know theres a level of customization included, but is it always worth it?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
I've been curious, why is a microcontroller often advised over more simple and cheaper alternatives? I know theres a level of customization included, but is it always worth it?
it depends on the no of logic gates required + it is easier to program it than design ckts for the same,
i however love logic ckt designing since a greater sense of achievement is always involved ;)