All transistor clock

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
But what happens on a cloudy day?
When I was young (1980's) my parents had me use the sun to tell time along with the farm I worked on. I was told, plow this field but be back before the sun hits the horizon or be home for dinner when the sun is two handbreadths from the horizon. But for some reason I was not allowed to use the excuse of it got cloudy for being late for dinner. Before the era of GPS I looked at the sun's position in the sky to navigate through a city I was never in to determine North/South etc. To this day I can usually get the time correct to within an hour or so when outside working by just looking at the position of the sun. Brings back memories.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I often use the position of the sun to figure out the time and get my bearings.
When our kids were young I would show them how to make a sun dial in the sand whenever we went camping.
When driving in unknown territory I prefer to use visual cues rather than rely on GPS.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
The world's oldest clock - still installed in its original place and still working is thought to be at Cotehele House, Cornwall, UK. See here. Installed about 1493 so just over 500 years old.
Would an electronic clock made of discrete transistors be more or less reliable than IC's?
My bet is that IC's are more reliable. You certainly don't want any electrolytic capacitors.
Corrosion, damp, thermal effects (expansion and contraction) over the years will be the biggest problems. What about spare parts 100 years from now? At least with the old mechanical clocks all you need to do is machine up a new metal part. Electronic clocks could be more of a problem!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I often use the position of the sun to figure out the time and get my bearings.
When our kids were young I would show them how to make a sun dial in the sand whenever we went camping.
When driving in unknown territory I prefer to use visual cues rather than rely on GPS.
I used to do that, growing up and working in California. Then one day I came out of a restaurant at noon in Singapore and couldn't find my way over to where I got out of the taxi.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When I was young (1980's) my parents had me use the sun to tell time along with the farm I worked on. I was told, plow this field but be back before the sun hits the horizon or be home for dinner when the sun is two handbreadths from the horizon. But for some reason I was not allowed to use the excuse of it got cloudy for being late for dinner. Before the era of GPS I looked at the sun's position in the sky to navigate through a city I was never in to determine North/South etc. To this day I can usually get the time correct to within an hour or so when outside working by just looking at the position of the sun. Brings back memories.
At night, when the moon is visible, you can also get a pretty good estimate of the time from looking at the terminator on the moon and imagining that you are standing "on top" of the moon, from your perspective.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
At night, when the moon is visible, you can also get a pretty good estimate of the time from looking at the terminator on the moon and imagining that you are standing "on top" of the moon, from your perspective.
Never thought of doing that. I will have to try that and see how accurately I can guess the time at night.