Aligning laser LED and diode

dwr

Joined Apr 10, 2005
Hello all,

I am just wondering what the best way to go about aligning a laser LED and a sensing diode so that the don't move. I will be mounting them inside a aluminum chassis, which will be cut for the lasers. for refeerence here is a pic of the style of LED and Diode I will be using: http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/US-Lasers/...505I,D6605I.jpg

Thanks again all, hopefully I've provided enough info and been clear about what I am wanting to do.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by dwr@Mar 1 2006, 03:49 PM
Hello all,

I am just wondering what the best way to go about aligning a laser LED and a sensing diode so that the don't move. I will be mounting them inside a aluminum chassis, which will be cut for the lasers. for refeerence here is a pic of the style of LED and Diode I will be using: http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/US-Lasers/...505I,D6605I.jpg

Thanks again all, hopefully I've provided enough info and been clear about what I am wanting to do.
[post=14502]Quoted post[/post]​
I would get a block of aluminum and drill a hole the diameter of the LED. I would use a piece of circuit board with three holes drilled for the diode eads and four holes for machine screws to mount the circuit board to the aluminum block with spacers. This will captivate the diode in the aluminum block. Do the same for the detector.

In the chassis you should fix one of the aluminum blocks with three fixed mounting screws. What I mean is that the hole in the chassis(unthreaded) should be just big enough for the screw. The other block should have one fixed mounting screw. In the chassis cut out a segment of an arc for the other two screws so that one of the aluminum blocks can be pivoted through say 10 degrees or so on each side of the LED/Detector centerline. Turn the diode on, peak the response, and tighten the screws -- so to speak.

I'm assuming that the chassis represents a flat surface and that you can machine the two aluminum blocks so that the holes are aligned with respect to the flat surface of the chassis.

Where shall I send the bill?
(Just Kidding)

dwr

Joined Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo@Mar 1 2006, 07:10 PM
I would get a block of aluminum and drill a hole the diameter of the LED. I would use a piece of circuit board with three holes drilled for the diode eads and four holes for machine screws to mount the circuit board to the aluminum block with spacers. This will captivate the diode in the aluminum block. Do the same for the detector.

In the chassis you should fix one of the aluminum blocks with three fixed mounting screws. What I mean is that the hole in the chassis(unthreaded) should be just big enough for the screw. The other block should have one fixed mounting screw. In the chassis cut out a segment of an arc for the other two screws so that one of the aluminum blocks can be pivoted through say 10 degrees or so on each side of the LED/Detector centerline. Turn the diode on, peak the response, and tighten the screws -- so to speak.

I'm assuming that the chassis represents a flat surface and that you can machine the two aluminum blocks so that the holes are aligned with respect to the flat surface of the chassis.

Where shall I send the bill?
(Just Kidding)
[post=14514]Quoted post[/post]​
Sounds like solid advice, Ill see what I can work out as I have very limited access to maching equipment.