AliExpress 7 in 1 multifunction tester

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Hi lads,
So I have done it again?
I saw an instructable about making a simple mini bench power supply, so thought I would give it a go.
In the build design it asked for the above multifunction tester, but I received a different type than the original design.
They had a tester with two power leads to power the display, then 3 others for the volts and amps. Mine came with two power leads and 4 empty screw connections!
Now I have no idea what connects to what, what connection tell me the amps and which one the volts, let alone the other functions it’s meant to do!
Here is the instructable I was trying to follow.
https://www.instructables.com/Mini-Bench-Power-Supply-Vintage-Style/
And here is the tester I have.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32968694419.html

can any one give me a simple wiring solution that will work?
I want to add the extra potentiometers that the original build had as well.

any help, please!!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Here is the picture from their website, the small red and black wires are the power for the display, the screws are for the external supply and load.
The two blacks are the temperature thermistor.

Screenshot_20210118-183120.png

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
wiring the red and black for screen power is easy.
So then what???
So would you wire the top left terminal to positive- into the potentiometer- then out into top right. This should give me a read out for volts.
And then do bottom right, - into potentiometer- to load, device, - back into bottom left - then back to the earth/negative?
This should then show the amps.

does that sound about right?

thanks.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Probably the meter requires a power supply isolated from both the measured voltage and current. Unfortunately the "description" looks a lot like a collection of keywords having no relationship to the product.
From that picture, it may be that the upper two terminals are for the power source and the lower two terminals are for the load. I say that because of the description "various loads" and the units of watts. That is not how an ammeter would be marked.

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Thanks misterbill.
I cant see any plus or minus markings on any of the terminal screw, so would it matter if they were wired in the wrong way around? Or if they were would the meter just not record anything rather than blowing up something!
and would my description above, work as to wher to put extra potientmeters
thanks again you all.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It may be that you would get a negative reading on volts and amps. And I don't see where you could add the adjustment potentiometers.
In summary, I do not see the device as suitable for a volts and amps meter in a power supply