Alien life and human space age discussion

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
u guys forget the main reason why there are other planets.
There may be water or ice or oxygen, but that does not mean life.

For us Humans, this earth is life and it will stay that way.

I repeat, You will never find another life in this life time. It is too short. Humans civilization lives for a mere nano second or even less compared to the lifetime of the universe.

Scientists can find everything else besides life on another planet.

I too like to go out there and venture into space but it is not to find life but to just to be amazed to see what is actually out there left for us to wonder.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011

I repeat, You will never find another life in this life time. It is too short. Humans civilization lives for a mere nano second or even less compared to the lifetime of the universe.

I too like to go out there and venture into space but it is not to find life but to just to be amazed to see what is actually out there left for us to wonder.
I understand your point, but how can you be so sure? How can you really know that we won't find life on other planets within our lifetime? I'm not necessarily talking about fully-developed humanoid beings, but even bacteria or something would mean a LOT to scientists today.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

I am still going to be a fan of Firefly, no matter what you say.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011

I believe that is an assertion offered without proof. Gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

So far as I can tell, we have no evidence pro or con on life elsewhere in the universe.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Something does not need to be proven.

Wait !! I know u all needs proof. That is why I am different from the rest of you.
I don't need proof to believe in something. My belief comes from something else. Something none of you will even think of venturing.

Planets, suns and galaxies are out there. But life is not for us to find yet. You will never find life on any other planet. No scientists will.

Just remember this that I said that and do pass it on to ur coming generations.
That somebody not known to you said so and is yet to be proven wrong.

Other things is that we are not meant to venture beyond over solar system.
You can send machines. That's different. Humans traveling is not possible due to the limited knowledge.

None of you see or even looks at the things the way I does.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Something does not need to be proven.

Wait !! I know u all needs proof. That is why I am different from the rest of you.
I don't need proof to believe in something. My belief comes from something else. Something none of you will even think of venturing.

Planets, suns and galaxies are out there. But life is not for us to find yet. You will never find life on any other planet. No scientists will.

Just remember this that I said that and do pass it on to ur coming generations.
That somebody not known to you said so and is yet to be proven wrong.

Other things is that we are not meant to venture beyond over solar system.
You can send machines. That's different. Humans traveling is not possible due to the limited knowledge.

None of you see or even looks at the things the way I does.
Do you practice a certain religion that says for certain there is no life beyond the earth?

EDIT: Just wanted to add on that I'm not trying to turn this into a religious discussion. I'm simply curious how R!f@@ can be so sure :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No ..I do not practice religion.

What I believe is what I know for sure.

Leave it at it is that none of you can believe what I believe.

If you think it is religion then you have no Idea what actually belief is.
Don't get me wrong or do not take this as an insult. Cause it is not.
And because to me you simply cannot find what is actually left for us.

Scientists are finding things that are already written down ages ago.
What they find are not new to me.
When I say findings I do not mean things like technology.
Technology is there for us to find but problem is you use it to destroy things.
And power makes man arrogant and it also brings fear of the unknown.

I have seen that what most of us dunno makes as fear them and take that as a threat.
Which is something I won't simply do.
I do not fear the unknown, but I like to know what is out there and to wonder about it.
Or rather feel it and see it with real eyes and not through a screen or a video.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Life is a fractal. We exist in a point in time and space in that fractal. The probability of encountering intelligent life at the same point in time and space in infinitesimally small.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Life is a fractal. We exist in a point in time and space in that fractal. The probability of encountering intelligent life at the same point in time and space in infinitesimally small.
I would argue that. Assuming planets around stars are extremely common, and that there are an enormous amount of stars of similar age to our own, those stars would have planets of similar age (ie stable). There is evidence of life on this planet going back tens of millions of years at least, so time is not such an issue. I'll also bet there are a lot of planets with life not that far from us, in terms of the size of the galaxy.

Then it becomes a numbers game; how many planets have life, how many have intelligent life, how many have FTL transport, how fast it goes, how good their sensors are. Our civilisation has only been in space less than 50 years! It laughable for us to assume that technology will never be found for FTL travel or that we (as babes) have any real clue as to the maximum level of technology that can eventually be developed.

If there had not been the specific life changing events over the ages this planet may have entered the space race a million years ago. Are you saying that a society a million years ahead of us in technology would not be able to travel to other solar systems, or not be able to detect us?

I agree that WE are unlikely to venture out and find other intelligent life in the near future, but there has been life in this galaxy for millions of years at least, just based on this one planet that we know.

It's a pure numbers game, and the universe has some very big numbers in both the number of possible life-supporting planets and big numbers in years that they may have had high technology.

I think in the age of this galaxy our planet is like an isolated amazon tribe, we've been there for a long time but hardships meant we are really far behind and underdeveloped... And others who are not millions of years behind are most likely watching us. ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Get real. You think civilization on earth is going to endure for another million years? We are more likely to annihilate ourselves in the next hundred.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And if we don't? There is an assumption built in there.

If we last long enough for the great diasporia (as Heinlein put it) then we're good for a very long time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Humans civilization lives for a mere nano second or even less compared to the lifetime of the universe.
Yes, human civilizations do exist for brief periods as you say. That's because we suck at life. We are by nature inperfect. What's the saying when we make a stupid mistake; "well, I'm only human". We have a surprising ability to forget past generational mistakes, and repeat them. What's to say that another civilization on another planet would suffer the same fatal flaw? If we were a little smarter and a little more peace-prone than war-prone, we could have existed as one advanced civilization since we showed up here. AND, we could continue to exist as such a peacful civilization indefinately, as opposed to inevitably imploding on ourselves as mrchips suggested.

If there is someone out there watching us, they are probably watching in amusement; "look at these idiots, they can't even produce without enslaving and attacking eachother."

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This string of posts, as most of us know, resided in this thread:http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=63500

The said thread was situated in the General Science forum. It might be general, but it still is scientific, meaning all expressed opinions must at least make an effort to verify or prove themselves, refer to a source or make an educated guess.

This string of posts didn't fit the criteria, so it was moved Offtopic. Any similar posts that will be posted in the original thread will be moved here too.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I for one, believe that life exists where ever it's possible. The question I have, is it considered life if it's energies are obtained away from the oxygen/carbon model. Our minds are made up of very simple chemical/electrical interactions, that could be taking place on scales other than within the confines of a brain mass. Is 'destiny' not the conscious decision of a larger form, of which we are embodied? Is our cranium the 'prison' of complete thought? Is it man's dilema that we see ourselves riding in little vehicles, exploring space, when all we have to do is connect with the lifeforce of the cosmos? Is it in death that we are freed, as we know that life confines us to the physical being.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Some nice philosophy from Strantor and GetDevice Info. Thanks! :)

MrChips said:
Get real. You think civilization on earth is going to endure for another million years? We are more likely to annihilate ourselves in the next hundred.
I don't want to sound as though I'm being contiguously argumentative with you but I disagree with you here too.

We have been through (and are hopefully in the final stages of) a very turbulent time in mankind's history.

In the last 150 years man started as badly informed isolated an bigoted "tribal cultures" where each country or region was like a tribe that hated the country next door. With the technology that developed at that time in history (high explosives, flight etc) these tribes were able to wage some very nasty wars, the worst ever.

But now we are leaving the "war age" and entering the "information age". It's very hard now for a leader of a country to totally convince the people to bigotedly hate their neighbouring country and go to war and butcher millions on some political ideal. People no longer want to start world wars, nor do they want to be totally constrained within their single culture and destroy all different cultures.

As people get to see exactly what life is like for all the other people of the world there is a process of averaging and homogenisation. We saw that in the Berlin wall, and recently in Egypt etc. It is a continuing process where all people will want the rights they see enjoyed by people who are most free, and the averaging of societies will continue in that direction. Societies will average towards the freeer, better informed, more democratic side.

To throw out another analogy, just because two schoolboys keep having fistfights doesn't mean they can't eventually grow up and live their lives quite peacefully. Mankind is (slowly) growing up. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To throw out another analogy, just because two schoolboys keep having fistfights doesn't mean they can't eventually grow up and live their lives quite peacefully. Mankind is (slowly) growing up. :)
Come back and remind me about this after Israel attacks Iran and draws in the US and Russia into the melee.