AirCond Elect motor to run squirrel cage fan

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
I’ve had an old squirrel cage fan (no motor) for a couple years and happened upon a motor (maybe).
Motor is from a discarded 220v window air conditioning unit. I also took out the start and run caps.
I’ve fiddled with it some trying to check it out but not having much luck. (Again, Old novice here)
I guess the motor is run on 220 but I thought I’d try 110...I did manage to get it to run a couple times, starting the motion by hand. I tried adding in the small Start cap but don’t think I had any luck—still started by hand. I then tried the big Run cap and the same but this time the motor ran smoother and a bit faster.
I took pics from the unit that showed the schematic but the two views are hard to read. (I’ll include them) I’ve tried looking up the motor by the number and I’ve seen some that were listed as 110-120V units. Adding in the suffix number didn’t get me anything...
I’m hoping that between these three items I can use it to power my cage fan...again, guidance would be most appreciated.
GE 5kcp39pg 9769s
Start Cap 45F1166
Run Cap 45F1167
5 wires (not sure of exact colors due to age but for sure Black, Blue, Brown...maybe Red and Orange)
Thanks much.

Attachments

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
I’m not sure if the small Cap is good—after trying it, I discharged it with a screwdriver and it did snap. The big Cap I believe is good—I was tenderly poking a 110 plug in an outlet for my trials...when I finished and was laying the wire on the bench, I managed to brush the two lugs against my hand and OUCH! It had some juice stored. I then discharged it and got a LOUD snap on it...

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Thank you very much for sharing how it was done. Others coming here in the future will find your experience very helpful. (sarcasm off)
Wow! Posted June 29, and not one question or remark...until now. Very unusual, as there’s always been help or discussion right away...
Thanks for your input...;)So...
Since I haven’t been able to find any info on this exact motor (the info tag on it is blank) I can’t determine if it’s a 110/120 volt, or a 230/240 volt unit. In trying to make out the above posted images, I decided for some trial and error.
I think the Orange is low speed, Blue is medium, and black is high. I connected one leg of a 110/120 feed to the black. I connected the other leg to one post on the small cap, as well as the brown wire. Then lastly, the red wire was connected to the opposite post of the cap. It starts (slowly) and runs, but I think it’s at about half-speed. But...it’s running and blowing some cooler air. Likely totally wrong way to do it but...:)
...until I get a better answer...;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wow! Posted June 29, and not one question or remark...until now. Very unusual, as there’s always been help or discussion right away...
There was no comments because of lack of information to what you have. And if you rear your latest post, with how others see it, there is still very little to go on. But glad YOU figured it out.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
There was no comments because of lack of information to what you have. And if you rear your latest post, with how others see it, there is still very little to go on. But glad YOU figured it out.
Maybe so, but that’s all I had to go with. I’m sorry there wasn’t enough for you to offer up any ideas/questions, etc. Usually, when there’s not enough info, someone will post “is there any more...” And, I’m equally sure there are many out there that could shed some light on this, IF I could get this in front of them...
I’ve been a tinkerer, hacker, “jack of all trades, master of none” for over 50 years and have been pretty successful with it, mainly through the help and guidance/teachings of many in communities such as this forum. I’m very thankful for them. And thankful that most don’t have a problem with my hard-headed thinking, but offer help anyway...
Yes, (I) got it working, but not as I think it should be. And maybe it is working to it’s full capacity. I don’t know. Maybe, if I had more input to give, then maybe you might be able to offer something more constructive. But I don’t. So there we are...again. :)

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
My last post didn’t do very well...let me try this:
I have a salvaged air conditioner motor from an old Sears 220v window air conditioner. I’m trying to use it to power a squirrel cage fan. It’s a GE motor 5KCP39PG 9769S (embossed on end) with 5 wires. The label on the side is now blank so I have no other information on it...
Is it a 220v motor? (I’m guessing it would be since it was from a 220v air unit) I’ve sent an email to GE to hopefully get some info but not holding my breath...
I thought I’d try and hook it up to 120v and it’s working (with a start cap wired in) but I think it’s running about half speed. So, would that tell me it’s actually a 220v motor?
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions you can offer.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Thanks Max...it’s not exact but again, I’m just a novice. Mine doesn’t have the yellow wire, but from the very faded schematic/diagram that was inside the unit I was able to make out that of my five wires, Black is high, Blue is medium, and Orange is low. Red and Brown are only left. I did salvage both caps as well...
I’ll attach the faded schematic/diagrams and see if you can see more...
Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Usually, when there’s not enough info, someone will post “is there any more...”
And if you look closer, that is usually done with people that are new to the forum, not people with the term "active member" under their name. See how much more information you are getting now that you are posting more information? Trying to help yourself?