AIR RAID SIREN

dadadiouffy

Joined May 4, 2020
I have successful completed this project but it does not work the way I expect. can anybody help me here. this alarm start well low, raising until it reach the high level, I want when it reach the high level then it start descend slowly until it stop.KT818 DIY simple air-raid alarm. 1  (2).jpg

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Releasing the switch removes the power, so the circuit no longer works. In that circuit, when power is applied the two 2N551s should start oscillating. First one transistor turns on then the other, then the first and so on. Is that happening?

dadadiouffy

Joined May 4, 2020
yes, the whole circuit is working well. but what it does not is, it does not lower the alarm as in the real air raid, it just continuing unless you switch it off

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... not completely sure, but try replacing C4 with a 10 uF electrolytic capacitor, positioning the + terminal towards the speaker.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
It appears that the circuit is doing what it was designed to do. When it is switched on, the multivibrator starts running. The 47 uF capacitor capacitor charges up through the 22 Kohm resistor and gradually biases the output transistors on. It will then continue at full volume until it is turned off.
Regards,
Keith

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
I agree with @KeithWalker above - the circuit seems to be working as designed. You would probably need to add a second oscillator that continuously changes the volume between the output of the astable main oscillator (comprised of VT1 and VT2 on the original schematics) and the output amplifier to get the continuous fade in / fade out effect. This secondary oscillator runs at a very low frequency.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
yes, the whole circuit is working well. but what it does not is, it does not lower the alarm as in the real air raid, it just continuing unless you switch it off
The way it is described as working is exactly the way the sirens in this part of the state work. They duplicate the old mechanical siren with a tone that starts low and rises and then stays loud at the higher pitch until the power is switched off. THAT is exactly how they are supposed to work.
Tjhe sirens that wail up and down in frequency have a second oscillator that varies the frquency of the first one.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
It appears that the circuit is doing what it was designed to do. When it is switched on, the multivibrator starts running. The 47 uF capacitor capacitor charges up through the 22 Kohm resistor and gradually biases the output transistors on. It will then continue at full volume until it is turned off.
Regards,
Keith
I disagree. What would be the point of the transistor mutlivibrator? Check this link to the operation of the oscillator/output stage.
siren output
Now think of the right transistor of the multivibrator. It will act as a periodic switch opening and closing, charging and discharging the 47uF capacitor, raising and lowering the pitch of the output section as the multivbrator changes states.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, if the multivibrator is not working, check the collector voltages and the base voltages. The collector voltages should be going up and down .

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Here is an LTSpice simulation, modified with a resistor in parallel with C3.
It yields a variation in the output waveform, but not one of uniform or regular appearance
... click on Vout.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Here is an LTSpice simulation, modified with a resistor in parallel with C3.
It yields a variation in the output waveform, but not one of uniform or regular appearance
... click on Vout.
I see no reason to put a resistor across C3. And since I do not have the simulator I can not open the ".ASC" file.
In the simulation look at the base voltages and the collector voltages of VT1 and VT2, they should be ramping up and down. If not, the multivibrator is not working.