Aftermath Of A Wood Chipper Accident?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Halloween is long over, but I ran across this photo of a wood chipper that looks like someone may have been the victim of a gruesome accident. :eek:

However, the person who posted the photo says the chipper was originally painted red and it was repainted white. :p

Red & White Chipper.jpg

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
In the late 60s, some chippers had an emergency stop bar, but it was discontinued because of accidental trips.

Furthermore, stopping the drum (which spins at 2800 RPM) quick enough to prevent an amputation would create a recoil that would tip the machine backwards possibly on top of the purported victim.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
In the late 60s, some chippers had an emergency stop bar, but it was discontinued because of accidental trips.

Furthermore, stopping the drum (which spins at 2800 RPM) quick enough to prevent an amputation would create a recoil that would tip the machine backwards possibly on top of the purported victim.
I got told the bar is there in case your clothing gets caught up in a Brach and starts to pull you in. Never pushed the bar so I am not sure if it does any cool stunts like a backflip.