Advice on wiring a LED system

Alois Luong 1

Joined Aug 15, 2019
Hello!

I am trying to wire up a small RGB LED system in my bedroom and would care for some advice on the best/safest/most efficient way to wire up the LED strips. I have four rolls of 5m long LED strips (see specs below) and I would like to lay them out as seen in the diagram attached (see 'Wire attachments diagram' attached): 2x for the bed, 1x for the wardrobe, 1x for the shelves (which will be cut in pieces of 1m, 2m and 2m).

Specs of LED strip: I'm buying from Shopee (an asian Amazon) and this is all the info I could pull from their page
- 5050 LED RGB
- 60 LEDs/m
- 12W/m (0.2W/LED)
- Uses 12V
- IP33 protection (basically none)
- Uses a 4 pin connection (Ground, R, G, B)
Link: https://shopee.vn/CUỘN-LED-DÂY-RGB-7-MÀU-5050-5M-i.128934242.2473269273

(1) After a bit of research, my initial though is to wire the three shelf strips in series and everything else in parallel with each other. The reasoning behind this is that these are very cheap LED strips so I'm guessing that voltage drop will be significant for any length over 5m.

(2) In total, I will be running 20m of LED at 12W/m so 20x12 = 240W. This means that I need a PSU that is capable of delivering 300W (taking into account the 20% safety margin that is recommended). Using P/V = I, 300W/12V = 25A. So I will be needing a PSU rated at 12V and 25A???

(3) Also, how could I incorporate an LED controller unit rated att 12V 6A(see picture attached) without breaking it if that much current is needed? Link: https://shopee.vn/44Key-IR-Remote-Controller-for-RGB-5050-LED-Light-Strips-i.116330449.2668806074
Alternatively, I've found another unit that does the same job which is rated at 12-24V and <192W?? (see picture attached below) Will that help? Link: https://shopee.vn/【chendujia】Mini-Bluetooth-Wifi-LED-Controller-Remote-For-5050-3528-RGB-RGBW-LE-i.253123873.6445331672

(4) Lastly, I would also line my ceiling using 20m of the same kind of LED strip (in a rectangular shape), how would I achieve that. (This would use a separate PSU and LED controller unit) and using what PSU?

Questions summary:
(1) Is my proposed method of wiring the strips correct?
(2) What PSU should I use for this system?
(3) How can I incorporate an LED controller unit without frying it?
(4) As a separate system, how can I line my ceiling using the same kind of LED (20m rectangular shape) and what PSU should I use?

Any help, comment or suggestions are welcome! Even if it's to tell me that I will burn my house down completely

Thanks,
A
LED controller unit.pngLED controller unit with 192W rating.pngWire attachment diagram.jpeg

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
One 9W LED light bulb is very bright. You will have enough LED power to blind yourself.
One of your RGB LEDs has 3 colors in it. Is its maximum allowed power and the maximum allowed output power from the controller with all 3 colors lighted?

Alois Luong 1

Joined Aug 15, 2019
One 9W LED light bulb is very bright. You will have enough LED power to blind yourself.
One of your RGB LEDs has 3 colors in it. Is its maximum allowed power and the maximum allowed output power from the controller with all 3 colors lighted?
Perhaps the wattage rating is exaggerated? But assuming that it is accurate, I would guess that 12W/m would be in the case that all three colours (RGB) are on max light output.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
If you are going to connect them in series, make sure that the strips can handle that much power. The first strip will carry all of the current for the other four connected to it. You must find out the current carrying capability of the strips to see if the first one can handle it's own current and that of four more of them. Knowing that each strip can draw up to 5 amps, I'm going to guess it won't be able to. I can't get to the link you supplied so I can't tell. Do they specify how many of these you can connect together?