Advice on basic distortion pedal

Aivaras Andrijauskas

Joined Aug 26, 2019
I am building the simplest possible distortion effect pedal i could find. ( https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-easy-guitar-distortion-pedal-STEP-BY-STEP/ ).
FBRB4V1G1M2GYMU.LARGE.jpg
Question 1 - many people who built this, say to replace the resistor between the base and collector of the transistor, with a 1M instead of 100k. What would happen, if i add a 1M pot as a variable resistor, instead of the 100k? or maybe in series with the 100k, to maintain the original resistance when the pot is turned down to 0.

Question 2 - What if instead of one NPN transistor, i do two darlington coupled NPN transistors,? Connecting the collectors together, and the emmiter of the first transistor, with the base of the second one. Would that add gain/volume/distortion? All of the above?

I'm using 100uf input cap, 100k pot instead of third resistor, for volume. And a 1k pot between the cap/diodes/vol - for distortion control.
I'm new to putting my theoretical knowledge into practice, but i have built a basic guitar amp before, so i'm starting to have some practical experience.
Thanks for the help, any advice is appreciated.

Aivaras Andrijauskas

Joined Aug 26, 2019
Hello, yes, that's not a complete standart schematic of the circuit, i took it from the middle of an instructional, since this image had the best definition, and had the parts im talking about
I included the link to the instructions.
Thanks for the link, i'll probably use that schematic instead