Advice on a bike-conversion project

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thing about batteries is they take time to charge. If you want to jet around town all day like I do, you end up having to make long pit-stops at the local Starbucks, or wherever else you can find a free outlet. Huge pain in the arse. Filling up a 1/2 gallon gas tank is fast, cheap, and easy.
Welcome to the real world problem of electric powered vehicles. They ain't all that practical outside of their very application specific target usage.:(

Sell the e-bike and use the money to get a good used scooter or like IC engine powered ride. ;)

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Bike costs $1500 and you're looking to probably dump another $300 into it to essentially turn it into an underpowered gas motorcycle. Why not just sell it and buy a real motorcycle? assuming you get half price for it ($750) and then take that other $300 for the generator, that's $1050 to spend. or just a scooter like this
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/scooter-moped-2011-tao-50cc/6352984623.html
This!

I'd just get a used scooter. The beauty of the e-bike is it's quiet. When you add on the generator you negate that benefit and the generator will pollute worse than the scooter.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
It probably doesn't need to be that low but it is impossible to say what would be acceptable as it depends on what the control circuit can handle and we have no details of that.
I wonder if a capacitance multiplier could be used here?

If you fit the gas engine are you still allowed to ride it in those places? Have you checked the rules?
Just as a courtesy to people pushing strollers or what have you, no, I don't plan on riding it with the motor attached places like that. I just want the generator for extended trips, really. And as long as I don't exceed 20 MPH, riding it on the streets shouldn't be an issue.

Welcome to the real world problem of electric powered vehicles. They ain't all that practical outside of their very application specific target usage.:(

Sell the e-bike and use the money to get a good used scooter or like IC engine powered ride. ;)
It may not be as efficient to convert a fuel to electricity to power a vehicle, but it can definitely be much more flexible. Imagine being able to select a generator powered by whatever means is most convenient for your locality - natural gas, diesel, kerosene, hydrogen, propane, etc. The underlying vehicle uses the same electrical drive train, just need to swap out generators. And even if you decided to power the thing with straight batteries, as long as you have enough capacity and access to convenient charging stations it actually works out to be fairly practical. And cheap too - I drive my bike at least 400 miles per month and the effect on my electric bill is almost negligible.

This!

I'd just get a used scooter. The beauty of the e-bike is it's quiet. When you add on the generator you negate that benefit and the generator will pollute worse than the scooter.
Think mountain bike. I strongly doubt a scooter would be capable of handling the kind of terrain I've taken this thing on. And most electric power plants burn fossil fuels, so either way you look at it you're creating some sort of pollution. As to the noise, this particular generator only produces about 65 decibels.

Last edited: