Advice for RTOS project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vead, May 12, 2017.

1. vead

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Hello
    I am looking advice for project based on RTOS (small projects). I have been searched on this site http://www.freertos.org/ . I have experience with microcontroller , LED , LCD Motor ..etc What Can I do with these devices to learn RTOS. If I have ARM M0 and Some LED'S on evaluation board. Is it possible to write program for LED? I just want to know what type of RTOS project we can do with this devices ?

2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Sure it's possible to write a blink led program using the RTOS multi-threaded style of programming instead of a bare metal state machine on a controller.
    Why are you interested in writing applications for them?

Once you go to a multi-threaded approach, things can become more complex until you wrap your head around the issues but you won't see these problems with a blink led program.
    [​IMG]
    https://barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/How-To/Preemption-Perils

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. vead

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I just want to understand development of RTOS program. I have downloaded books and sample program. I am not getting idea suppose if I have limited resource LED or LCD what i can do with single LED or LCD using RTOS program, which I can't do using simple C program. what's the multiple task we can do with LED using RTOS Program. can you explain with LED example How many task we can perform using RTOS ?

4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Using a RTOS system is complete overkill for a simple one-threaded program with an LED as a simple display. If the LED is used in a complex manner like an IR transmitter task used to send data generated from another controller DAQ task then maybe a RTOS might be useful.

My #1 point of advice:
    Read those downloaded books and sample programs.