Advice for new EE Student

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Welcome katie to the wonderful world of electronics. If you look to your left you will see a badly burnt hand so watch out when using the soldering iron. If you look to your right you will see a smashed in oscilloscope, make sure that you don't loose your temper when making circuits. Allways....ALLWAYS have a anger management toy that you can rip the f*cking life out of and stab at it and TURN ITS HEAD ALL....oh....sorry :S got a little carried away

All i can say is good luck and hope for the best :D!!!!
I starting an electronic engineering course at Warwick in October, 5 years XD
Its a truely wonderful subject and it is my life to be honest

All the best
Robin
(and a few kisses xxx)

Good luck !

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The metal kitchen scrubbers work very well, and even coarse steel wool will suffice if it's all you can find. Also remember to keep the tip well tinned at all times. I like to clean mine before every use and then periodically during use. After I'm done I feed excess solder onto the tip and let it harden/cool that way. Using wet anything can be hard on the plating of the tip. Won't hurt if done occasionally but I wouldn't do it regularly. Everyone develops their own style though, so, however you decide to go will work for you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Using "iron clad" tips is essential. I have been using the wet sponge method for 30 years and only ruined one tip in that amount of time. Solder actually dissolves copper, thus the copper tips can be dissolved away in a matter of weeks, no matter which method you use to clean them.

The defense rests.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Order In the court. KatieL you may proceed with your presentation to
the members of the Forum. Forum ready for open debate.

KatieL

Joined Jul 2, 2011
Seriously! Order in the court!! This thread is not about solder :) How did I get solderjacked??

(Okay fine, continue the discussion if you want. I'll just sit here confused and browsing Amazon for solder supplies. My husband now officially thinks I'm nuts.)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
May I direct the husband's attention to us? It is we that are insane, but we have fun doing it!

But cereally, specific questions will get specific answers. You are welcome to re-direct the testimony.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The juror Happyganl has not had a say in all this testimony about another
power player coming on line.I think KatieL cannnot sit on the side lines once
we have heard from Happyganl who is moving up in her career,on Skype and
going places. Happyganl is a world player and has made her mark on this Forum.
Ladies don't touch the Loosewire

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I'm surrendering to the court, as the culprit who instigated the aforementioned solder hijacking. I beg the court consider my utter lack of financial means when rendering judgement.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
This is your first day you have alot more members you are to enjoy hearing
from and understanding.This a great Forum..forget facebook.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Me, I always have two tips hot and ready when I work on debugging SMD jobs. I apply heat from both ends and they come loose more easily.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember using a in house made hot plate (made by me) to help unsolder and resolder some hard to solder parts.