Advice for hookup wire?

wrybread

Joined Jul 3, 2005
I'm connecting two circuit boards together with soldered jumpers and have been using different wires for this sort of thing over the years, and I'm wondering what other people would recommend. I have to wire up about 20 of these so I'm trying to choose wisely.

I'm connecting one of these RTC's:

https://bdspeedytech.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=588

To an ESP32 dev board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QCP2451

For various reasons I'm soldering from the holes on the RTC (not using the headers) to the solder pads on top of the ESP. I really wish I could find this ESP without the headers soldered on, but alas.

The wires get a little strain when I unpack and repack the components.

So I'm wondering: what wire would you recommend? Stranded or unstranded? What gauge? Is there a brand you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi wry,
What distance will the DS3232 RTC be from the ESP32 board.?

I use 5 core screened about 1mtr in length, with Arduino, you may find that where the MCU is located is not the best location for the temperature sensor section of the RTC module, if you plan to use the Tempr option.

E

wrybread

Joined Jul 3, 2005
Just going a few inches. Would prefer individual wires, although 4 wires connected (not sheathed together) could work too.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
At the DS3232 end of the cable I have a 6 pin socket that the pins of the DS RTC plug into.
A few inches of stranded wire will be OK.
E

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Stranded wire is less liable to break than solid core.
PVC insulation is liable to melt when soldering unless you do it quickly. PTFE won't melt when soldering but you will probably a good wire stripper.
Keep the solid core for the breadboard.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Stranded wire is less liable to break than solid core.
PVC insulation is liable to melt when soldering unless you do it quickly. PTFE won't melt when soldering but you will probably a good wire stripper.
Keep the solid core for the breadboard.
Agree for crimped connectors, but the TS describes soldering to the boards. Soldered stranded wire is quite prone to breaking as the solder wicks into the wire.

I also use Kynar (PVDF, polyvinylidene fluoride) insulation. It has many of the properties of PTFE, and for me is easier to work with. It is not as slippery as PTFE and is easier to strip. It does not melt and shrink back as PVC does.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
For 20 units, if you can do it yourself, to me that's just about worth spinning your own custom pcb to connect them. Then just drop them on and solder. You can also add features like jumpers or test points that might make your life easier, if you have the need.