Adjust rheostat ohm range

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
(It bugged me no end that I couldn't figure out how an automobile rear-end differential worked, since I couldn't see how that could be done with gears. It was a eureka moment when I saw one taken apart in a repair shop and realized the trick was that two of the gears rotated with the drive gear.)
The videos were available back then, you were just missing the content delivery system.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
didn't even get the concept.
You used a key word there or a derivative, Conceptualize, I have come across many engineers or others of equal qualifications, but often found they did not seem to have the ability to what I called abstract thought or the ability to conceptualize.
As Albert E once said, Imagination is more important than Knowledge, to me, that translated to if you have the former, the latter come later!;)
Max.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
As I was always coming up with off the wall ideas, I have the nickname "iansane" Also because of the motor bikes that I owned and modified and rode. One was a Nitros yammy VMax that developed 175 Bhp and 130ft/lbs of torque. Amazing handling too by spending £15 grand on the right suspension, cnc swing arm tyre's etc.) The Lotus is a S.E model with a modded V8 giving 430 BHP.( and my colleague's nickname was "Demented") Oh to be young again!!!!! :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've posted it here before, but I can't resist reviving it once again in case anyone missed it: this is one of my all-time favorites.
"Characterized by extreme intuition of all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitudes" Now I understand my life much better.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You used a key word there or a derivative, Conceptualize,
The first time I saw a graphics program rotate a 3D figure, I wondered why anybody would need that. "Can't everybody do that in their head?" Short sighted of me. Now I see that this program can be used to make a dashboard in a car that requires 6 hours of disassembly in order to get to the fuse block. I could never do that with just my imagination. In fact, I wouldn't want to, which is a good reason why I am fast becoming a fossil. If you tried to hire me to make something that difficult to repair, I wouldn't do it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I think your diagram is incorrect. The wiper and one end terminal should not be shorted together.
Interesting observation.
The linearity of the modified rheostat is actually improved slightly if one end is connected to the wiper.
The simulation is below.
Compare that with my simulation in post #10.
The difference is now about 17% at the midpoint as compared to 21%.

upload_2016-4-14_8-59-53.png

Last edited: