Adjust reading on temperature indicator lengthened cable

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
I have a Love TID-1110 with a TS-21 sensor.
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Indicators/Digital/SeriesTID
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Sensors/SeriesTS-PROBES

The cable was too short, so I lengthened it several feet. This appears to have altered the accuracy of the reading I am getting. It appears to be reading a few degrees above the actual temperature. There is no calibration inside the indicator itself. Is there anything I could add to re-calibrate the reading? I am after a simple solution. If this isn't possible, then I will probably just leave it be.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Three ideas.
A ptc thermistor increases resistance with temperature increase. More resistance in the cable will be measured as a higher temperature. Making your additional cable nearly zero ohms is a good thing.

Adding a resistor in parallel with the cable would correct the reading at one temperature of your choice, but proper calibration is the proper method.

The 4ma-20ma sensor finds a little change in the cable resistance irrelevant. That's why current loop sensors were invented. I bought one at Grainger many years ago and it worked perfectly at 50 feet of distance. Maybe you have bought the wrong method.

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply. The thermistor is the method that was suggested by Dwyer for my application. It appears that it is a lot less expensive that the 4-20ma method. I guess this is the reason.

I was wondering if a resistor in parallel would do the trick, but I assumed it would just correct one point as you mentioned.

It isn't a big deal if it is off a little. I just thought if there was a simple way to correct the reading, it was worth a shot.

Thanks for the ideas.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just checked Grainger. Terrible prices! :( I swear I got a good thermometer for under $100, but that was 20 years ago.

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
No problem. I have a panel with 7 of these, so I don't want to spend the $ to change them to another style.
Thanks for the help.