Adj Voltage Regulator. 12v 8A

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Hi,
I am looking to build an adjustable voltage regulator circuit which would have a supply of 12v and a continuous output current of 8A.
Ideally I would like it to be controlled by a pot(similiar to the lm317 control), which would vary voltage from 12v down to 5v.

Is there a circuit similiar to that of the LM317 regulator cct which would allow me to pass 8A, and vary the voltage.

Thanks for you help.
Regards NM

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you have not already acquired your components, I would recommend you go with mik3's recommended component choice.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The LT1038 is obsolete, and may be hard to get (expensive). If you should happen to burn one up and need another down the line, it will be much more expensive.

The LT1581 is another 10A linear regulator in a TO220 case that would do the trick.

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
10 amp max is a bit too close for my liking to 8 amp.Why not use a bipolar and restrict the base voltage. 2N6488 is rated at 15 amps.

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Thanks for the help.
hgmjr 8A is absolute max, 6A is as low as I can allow.

chrissyp by adjusting the base current to a bipolar, will this basically act as an advanced pot, ie when I adjust down to say, 7v and apply a 6A load will the voltage drop, or will they act similiar to a regulator and keep 7v continious?

Thanks,
NM

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Ideally what I am looking is a regulation circuit which functions similiar to the LM317 below, except it will pass 6A (8A Max)
7Vdc1.5ARegulatedSupply.PNG
Thanks NM

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
hgmjrThanks for the link.

But I have been thinking, so far most of the ic's/regulators talked about in this tread are difficult to find, most of the companies I deal with for components do not stock them, or they have them at an exorbitant price.

What I plan to do is basically vary the speed of a 12v electric fuel pump so as the fuel output can be adjusted from low to high flow.
I thought of adjustable regulation, thinking of constant current at different voltage levels.
So, now I am wondering would pulse width modulation do the job. I did not mention this at first because I thought DC was best.
Also I was not sure how an electric fuel pump would handle being pulsed.

So, kind of on a tangent here, but would anybody know will these types fuel pump in general handle PWM.
Thanks for your help.
Regards NM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330265946981&rd=1

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I thought of adjustable regulation, thinking of constant current at different voltage levels.
I'm sorry, but DC motors don't work that way. At any given motor speed, current will be proportional to voltage. Torque will be sacrificed if using a linear regulator to control the speed of the motor.
So, now I am wondering would pulse width modulation do the job. I did not mention this at first because I thought DC was best.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330265946981&rd=1
PWM is a much better way to control DC motor speed. If you use our search function in the blue bar above, you will find much discussion about using PWM to control the speed of DC motors. You will also discover a surprising variety of affordable components which will work well for such an application.