Additional start ciruit for generator

dandy1

Joined Sep 30, 2017
Hi guys - looking for some advice

I want to add an additional starting circuit to my generator by splicing into the original circuit
here is the wiring

003_zpsdws5shwr.jpg
the genny is outside the garage and that is controlled by its original circuit, so i want an additional circuit inside the garage to save the bother of going outside, especially because it rains a lot here, and im lazy.
ideally i want both circuits operational (at least for stopping the genny) in case something goes wrong, i believe this is just a case of grounding the ignition control but hey - this is why im here!
i have some 10a and 40a (5 pin) relays and some toggle switches which may do the switching or do i need something more elaborate?

anyway thank for any advice

Last edited:

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011

I want to add an additional starting circuit to my generator by splicing into the original circuit
here is the wiring

View attachment 155294
the genny is outside the garage and that is controlled by its original circuit, so i want an additional circuit inside the garage to save the bother of going outside, especially because it rains a lot here, and im lazy.
ideally i want both circuits operational (at least for stopping the genny) in case something goes wrong, i believe this is just a case of grounding the ignition control but hey - this is why im here!
i have some 10a and 40a (5 pin) relays and some toggle switches which may do the switching or do i need something more elaborate?

You will need three circuits, Run, Start and Off.
The Run circuit will be just an simple on/off switch some where. Depending on the generator, this may also be the stop circuit. On my B&S it is normally open, and shorts the magneto to ground when closed. For starting you will need a momentary switch to engage the starter solenoid. Shouldn't need to much if it is short distance. 12 guage should be sufficient.

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011

here is the wiring

View attachment 155294

Ill make up a schematic and a materials list tonite

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Many additional things to consider...
The starting of the generator to happen automatically when mains is interrupted ? How long time wait for the power being absent to start ?
Need mains sensing
Need waiting timing
Then for cranking... how long to crank ? If does not start, wait how long to retry ?
Need timed cranking relay.
Need repetition timing circuitry.
How do you confirm the generator started and is running ?
Need oil pressure sensor, or proper generated voltage presence circuitry.
Another timer to shut off the generator after a period of time after the mains has returned.
And a battery charger.
If the generator runs out of fuel and stops... What actions are desired ? More circuitry
And a transfer switch so the generated voltage does not find its way back to the power pole.
When the mains returns, circuitry to reset the transfer switch...

Plus whatever else not in the list. To be lazy, at some moment there has to be a lot of work to allow being lazy.