Adding remote controlling to my car audio head unit

Misieek

Joined Mar 17, 2021
Hello!

I am trying to add IR remote control feature to my Pioneer MVH-X580DAB. I didn't have it from factory, but I found out, that there is a similar model, MVH-X580BS that had one. That's why I thought that it should be easy to add remote control to my head unit.

Firtsly, I found this service manual, there is IR receiver circuit at page 39. I desoldered R1952, soldered C1951, R1953, and also VS1838B (38kHz) as an IR sensor. Tried it, and it doesn't work.

There may be some reasons why:
- bad frequency of the receiver,
- software thing, maybe I have to install software from MVH-X580BS, but I'm a bit scared that I can brick my head unit...

I found this topic investigating the IR sensor replacement. They came up with 37.9kHz receiver, so I should be OK with VS1838B.
What do you think I should do next?

Last edited:

William Ketel

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The embedded code to interface with the IR signals and decode them into commands may not be present in a non-IR remote radio. The control processor may even be different because the IR remote function would require a bit more I/O.

AND why in the world do you want a remote control for a car radio, which is already within reach of both driver and front seat passenger. One more quite fragile item to get lost or stepped on because it fell on the floor. Even more useless tn white sidewall tires.

Misieek

Joined Mar 17, 2021
The control processor may even be different because the IR remote function would require a bit more I/O.
Did you even look at those schematics? Control processor IC1801 is the same for both units, and requires only one additional I/O which is already connected. However, I agree that embedded code can be different, but I don't know if changing the software via usb update changes also that software.

AND why in the world do you want a remote control for a car radio, which is already within reach of both driver and front seat passenger. One more quite fragile item to get lost or stepped on because it fell on the floor. Even more useless tn white sidewall tires.
Don't call something useless unless you understand it. Professional car audio application, to control my audio system during shows.

Last edited: