ADC measurement issue

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
be80be,

Its nice to chat with you. Appreciated your help. I was working with AD1015 and wont found maximum reading i.e. 4095 even if by giving full scale and low scale or middle scale.

Now I am thinking the issue was of 2's complimented result. what do you say?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
be80be,

Its nice to chat with you. Appreciated your help. I was working with AD1015 and wont found maximum reading i.e. 4095 even if by giving full scale and low scale or middle scale.

Now I am thinking the issue was of 2's complimented result. what do you say?
The 1015 & 1115 are both set up to read negative voltages as well as positive voltages, and they use two's complement as the output format so they can accommodate negative numbers.

This effectively loses you one bit of resolution if you aren't using the negative end. So 12 bits is 11 positive bits, and 16 bits is 15 positive bits.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Oh, and to answer your earlier question, it does work over I2C. My understanding is that it's literally the 16 bit version of the 1015. I believe they use the exact same communication protocols, etc.

Of course, you should check datasheets and confirm that before relying on that info, but I believe that's true.

In any case, it definitely uses I2C.

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
Hello be80be,GopherT,nsaspook,ebeowulf17,dendad,AlbertHall,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciated your help.

As per the suggestion of ebeowulf17, I will use AD1115 or AD1113 (16 bit ADC's).

Here I am confirming that, I will use 16 bit ADC. If any issue will appear, I will reply to this post.
Thank you guys for your help.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hello be80be,GopherT,nsaspook,ebeowulf17,dendad,AlbertHall,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciated your help.

As per the suggestion of ebeowulf17, I will use AD1115 or AD1113 (16 bit ADC's).

Here I am confirming that, I will use 16 bit ADC. If any issue will appear, I will reply to this post.
Thank you guys for your help.
Cool, good luck! Don't forget to read up on over-sampling, and also be conscious of analog noise issues (use very good voltage regulation, consider ferrites for emi suppression, decouple supply inputs, etc.)

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
Hello ,

I was configuring ADS1015 and ADS1115 and it was perfect two days before. Code was excellent and results were good.

But today morning, Just shifted those ADC's on other board then communication is OK but the results are 30,36,100,1000,29,450,333....

Please help me.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hello ,

I was configuring ADS1015 and ADS1115 and it was perfect two days before. Code was excellent and results were good.

But today morning, Just shifted those ADC's on other board then communication is OK but the results are 30,36,100,1000,29,450,333....

Please help me.
We're going to need a lot more details on what's changed.

Were you on breadboards, perf board, or printed PCBs when it was working? How about now? Are you using the same power supply, plugged into the same outlet, in the same location? Has your grounding scheme changed? Have you put the electronics in an enclosure, or removed them from one?

Give us some clues!

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
Hello,

I am not doing anything differnt. I am doing the same. Now shifted ADC on other board then communication is happening but I am getting only one value i.e. high.

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
The other board is other controller board.

The ADC is on zero PCB i.e dotted PCB of brown in colour.

Once I had removed from ADC from zero PCB and again mount the same.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
By zero board, do you mean something like this?
IMG_3689.JPG

And, are you saying that you had the ADC on "zero board," then you removed it from that, but now you've put it back on the same "zero board" again? So, you had moved it, but now it's back inv the same board where it previously worked?

If so, I would first double check all of your solder connections. Next, I would read the voltage at the ADC input pin with a DMM (multi meter) or oscilloscope while also taking ADC readings, to confirm that the signal you're trying to read isn't the problem.

Assuming all of the solder connections are good, and assuming you have a good input signal, it's possible that you've damaged the chip moving it between boards. De-soldering an ADC chip can be tricky. If you got any pins too hot when removing it from a board, you could easily have damaged it.

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
Hi,

Yes you are write. It was like same zero board.

I would like to tell u the connection,
Vcc-4.7V
Gnd- GND
Add- Gnd
ANI3 - input
Scl- scl
SDA - sda

In fact, the communication is possible but as per software. As until txend and rxend won't happen program Stuck as I am using while loop.
But communication is happening and program is not going to stop. I am getting only high value.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hi,

Yes you are write. It was like same zero board.

I would like to tell u the connection,
Vcc-4.7V
Gnd- GND
Add- Gnd
ANI3 - input
Scl- scl
SDA - sda

In fact, the communication is possible but as per software. As until txend and rxend won't happen program Stuck as I am using while loop.
But communication is happening and program is not going to stop. I am getting only high value.
Have you checked the voltage (with a meter or oscilloscope) at AIN3 while you were getting these bad readings? It's possible that when soldering and un soldering, maybe you ended up with a solder bridge somewhere, shorting the input to your supply voltage.

In fact, I see on the data sheet that AIN3 and VDD are right next to each other, so that would be a really easy spot to have a problem.

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
Hello,

What I did is , changed ADC1015 i/p . I was using ANI3. Now I have connected different one.

I will test this with my controller and will update you soon.

I will post the results here. Do you know, how we can find if ADC is OK or it has damaged. Does it has any way to find?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hello,

What I did is , changed ADC1015 i/p . I was using ANI3. Now I have connected different one.

I will test this with my controller and will update you soon.

I will post the results here. Do you know, how we can find if ADC is OK or it has damaged. Does it has any way to find?
The first thing I would do is measure the actual voltage at the AIN pin while taking ADC values so that you can compare the voltage reading with the ADC value.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Its high agian even if 0 volt at i/p pin.
That's not good. I'm not sure of any other test method than comparing the actual voltage with the ADC output. There are settings to troubleshoot regarding the PGA, but none that would give you a full scale reading with 0 volt input.

My *guess* at this point is that the chip has been damaged. Hopefully some other, more experienced, members might have ideas on how to troubleshoot an ADC chip?

@nsaspook @AlbertHall @be80be @GopherT @dendad

Any of you guys want to rejoin the conversation and give some guidance here? There's no way a PGA gives you a full scale reading from 0V input, and the ADC voltage reference is internal, so there's nothing to check or troubleshoot there. Can you think of anything else to test or check? Does it sound like this ADC is dead?

RenesasT1

Joined Jul 6, 2017
What are the reasons by which ADC can get damaged?

I have never connected reverse supply. Always checked the polarity of the supplies. If I could use reverse supply then my controller should also go. But controller is proper. Any idea??