Adapted invention, High-schooler who needs help with Circuits

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Would it be easier to just create a circuit from scratch and integrate simple things from the alarm itself? I've found seperate circuits that are each seperate sound and light alarm clocks. But i don't know how to combine them into one working unit... So any help with that would be helpful. I'll probably just keep geussing and checking things on the bread board

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
If you want to use an existing clock, I would have the alarm signal from the clock trigger the wakeup sequence. Using a microprocessor (like an Arduino or similar) would make this project much easier, but you can always do the rest with cascaded timers and other logic. When the trigger happens, start the 30-minute fadeup sequence on the leds. Then activate the alarm and jettison the key, Then start a timer to shut off the alarm after 2 minutes or so (so nobody will destroy it when it goes off if you aren't home...)
The next step would be to eliminate the alarm clock and have the micro do that task as well.

As for the LED, I would go with a constant-voltage dimmable LED strip and drive it with a MOSFET using PWM dimming. The individual LEDs you linked to are nice but you would need to add a constant-current power supply to drive them, and they are tiny surface-mount parts that require a rather picky PCB layout to get the heat from the LED to the heatsink.
/mike

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
If you want to use an existing clock, I would have the alarm signal from the clock trigger the wakeup sequence. Using a microprocessor (like an Arduino or similar) would make this project much easier, but you can always do the rest with cascaded timers and other logic. When the trigger happens, start the 30-minute fadeup sequence on the leds. Then activate the alarm and jettison the key, Then start a timer to shut off the alarm after 2 minutes or so (so nobody will destroy it when it goes off if you aren't home...)
The next step would be to eliminate the alarm clock and have the micro do that task as well.

As for the LED, I would go with a constant-voltage dimmable LED strip and drive it with a MOSFET using PWM dimming. The individual LEDs you linked to are nice but you would need to add a constant-current power supply to drive them, and they are tiny surface-mount parts that require a rather picky PCB layout to get the heat from the LED to the heatsink.
/mike
So i am still a learner in this so what things am i going to need to learn how to use to make this possible? If i am not mistaken arduino is a microcontroller. But I think i would use an arduino, because it is the most familiar thing that i have vaguely researched. And what coding language should i use? Also what type of arduino should I purchase, along with any other equipment i may need to continue my work?

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Stand on the shoulder of others. Just about anything you can think of for an Arduino has been done and a video posted. Just try different search terms until you find something that clicks. (Clock joke!)

I don’t have Arduino experience but I’m assuming the entire project is within its capabilities. Without a microprocessor a decent clock is a challenge, hence my plan to hack an existing alarm clock. The second challenge is a ramped PWM signal for your LEDs and noisemaker. That’s doable without a micro but will be easier with one. If you don’t mind the learning curve, go for it. You probably won’t regret it in the long run.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
If you don’t mind the learning curve, go for it. You probably won’t regret it in the long run.
It is the same like buying a lab instrument for a certain job. Once done with the task, the isntrument is still there, available for whatever comes next.

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
It is the same like buying a lab instrument for a certain job. Once done with the task, the isntrument is still there, available for whatever comes next.
Thanks guys. So can you guys help me make a list of things I’m going to need to make this. Like broad strokes anything I could possibly need. I don’t mind spending more than I need to if i might use it. Plus I don’t plan on stopping with this project this is just going to be my first of many electrical experiences. So yeah if you guys would mind helping I’d love the step in my long flight of stairs to finishing

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
The second challenge is a ramped PWM signal for your LEDs and noisemaker. That’s doable without a micro but will be easier with one. If you don’t mind the learning curve, go for it. You probably won’t regret it in the long run.
What do you mean by this pray tell?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What do you mean by this pray tell?
You mean the ramped PWM part? Pulse-width-modulation or PWM is a great technique for dimming LEDs. It switches them full on and full off like a light switch, but so fast that a human cannot see the switching. The brightness of the LED is then proportional to the "on" time – the pulse width – of the power supplied to it. This technique also works with DC motors (maybe not all of them, but many), incandescent lightbulbs, heaters, and many other devices.

Your device, once triggered in the morning, might start its PWM at 0% (no LED) and then slowly climb to 100% (fully on) over the course of 30 minutes or so.

There are many ways to achieve both the PWM and the slow ramp of the PWM from 0 to 100% pulse-width (brightness). A microcomputer such as Arduino can probably do both with ease. At the other end of things, you could build your own circuits without using any computer. In between, you can buy PWM controllers on eBay very inexpensively, much cheaper and easier than you could build your own. You'd still need to control that circuit over the 30-minute wake-up with some sort of ramping voltage or something - it depends on how the module is controlled.

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
You mean the ramped PWM part? Pulse-width-modulation or PWM is a great technique for dimming LEDs. It switches them full on and full off like a light switch, but so fast that a human cannot see the switching. The brightness of the LED is then proportional to the "on" time – the pulse width – of the power supplied to it. This technique also works with DC motors (maybe not all of them, but many), incandescent lightbulbs, heaters, and many other devices.

Your device, once triggered in the morning, might start its PWM at 0% (no LED) and then slowly climb to 100% (fully on) over the course of 30 minutes or so.

There are many ways to achieve both the PWM and the slow ramp of the PWM from 0 to 100% pulse-width (brightness). A microcomputer such as Arduino can probably do both with ease. At the other end of things, you could build your own circuits without using any computer. In between, you can buy PWM controllers on eBay very inexpensively, much cheaper and easier than you could build your own. You'd still need to control that circuit over the 30-minute wake-up with some sort of ramping voltage or something - it depends on how the module is controlled.
Ok so what do I control the module with?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ok so what do I control the module with?
That depends on the module. I think the ideal choice would be one that could give you 0-100% PWM in response to voltage, say 0-5V. I have no idea what options are out there but I'd start by searching for "voltage controlled PWM" or something like that.

Step-wise digital control might be an other option. You could use a chip that converts a clock signal (easy to generate with a 555 timer IC) to a digital count output. So the chip would output, say, 16 steps over 30 minutes that the PWM controller might be able to use. Again, I'm not sure what all is out there.

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
That depends on the module. I think the ideal choice would be one that could give you 0-100% PWM in response to voltage, say 0-5V. I have no idea what options are out there but I'd start by searching for "voltage controlled PWM" or something like that.

Step-wise digital control might be an other option. You could use a chip that converts a clock signal (easy to generate with a 555 timer IC) to a digital count output. So the chip would output, say, 16 steps over 30 minutes that the PWM controller might be able to use. Again, I'm not sure what all is out there.
Thanks man really helps, you might not hear from me for a while but I promise I’ll have more questions

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Thanks guys. So can you guys help me make a list of things I’m going to need to make this. Like broad strokes anything I could possibly need. I don’t mind spending more than I need to if i might use it. Plus I don’t plan on stopping with this project this is just going to be my first of many electrical experiences. So yeah if you guys would mind helping I’d love the step in my long flight of stairs to finishing
Hey i just want to reitterate this, can i get some help with this?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hey i just want to reitterate this, can i get some help with this?
Folks here are here to help, but few will take the time to do the legwork for you. You need to be more specific about what you need help with. The more you put in, the better feedback you'll get.

In the meanwhile, look at something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-Capa...213766&hash=item1ca134d206:g:qtYAAOSwFmxagUKz

It might be possible to hack that to your needs. Here's an expensive version of what you need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-10V-Anal...hash=item283250fbe6:m:mUSSpNlHYs34HroI58YK-HQ

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Folks here are here to help, but few will take the time to do the legwork for you. You need to be more specific about what you need help with. The more you put in, the better feedback you'll get.

In the meanwhile, look at something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pcs-Capa...213766&hash=item1ca134d206:g:qtYAAOSwFmxagUKz

It might be possible to hack that to your needs. Here's an expensive version of what you need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-10V-Anal...hash=item283250fbe6:m:mUSSpNlHYs34HroI58YK-HQ
Thanks mate I really appreciate it

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Ok, so I found this parts kit and I bought it, so i'll be opperational soon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Ra...109073854?epid=1073506467&hash=item284e1ad7be

I've read tons of articles online but since I have limited experience in this im not sure if the articles im learning from are good. So my question is do any of you guys know of a good article(s) that I could read so I dont come back here with questions all the time, cause i can tell from this:

"Folks here are here to help, but few will take the time to do the legwork for you. You need to be more specific about what you need help with. The more you put in, the better feedback you'll get."

That I have become somewhat of a bother and I am sorry for that, I just have so many questions about what I am doing.
So thank you to those who have helped so far especially Wayneh.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That I have become somewhat of a bother and I am sorry for that, I just have so many questions about what I am doing.
Nothing wrong with that, and don't worry about it. My point was only that you can get better feedback for yourself around here when you demonstrate your own passion for the project and progress towards the goal. Don't hold back in asking for help when you hit roadblocks.

Also, specific questions will often get better feedback than general ones just simply because it's easier to answer a narrow question. It can be a tough balance. A specific question is easier for someone to jump in with advice, but the folks around here that can help you will usually want to understand the context of your question, since that influences the answer to the question. For instance if you ask a question about a power supply, people will want to know what it's going to be used for.

Again, just advice. Don't sweat it.

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
UPDATE: I got a lot of my parts, including an Arduino UNO and I have started doing programming in C++. This project has opened an entirley different world for me and its super amazing, there is plenty of stuff that I dont understand yet but I recently found that getting a IC DS1307 will make my life a lot easier, programming wise. Thank you guys again for getting me on the right track. Ive been reading this interesting FREE resource/book on what im doing and it has helped immensly, so if your just beginning like i was look into this and maybe get the start kit i mentioned earlier along with your own Arduino UNO, its a great place to start. Here is the link to the book that ive been reading to help me understand this stuff: http://www.introtoarduino.com/downloads/IntroArduinoBook.pdf

So not a neccessary thing but can any of you guys find a good digital clock program for arduino that I can end up editing so I don't have to start from scratch. I found this super in depth one, and it is currently the program i'm working with: https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/arduino-alarm-clock

Thanks again to everyone, ATFerari, thanks man. And big thank you to Wayneh, i bet it was a little tedious to answer some of my questions especially since I couldve found it online, I just didnt know what i was asking yet.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...there is plenty of stuff that I dont understand yet...
Get used to it! Unless you get very deep into this, the one thing you'll keep learning over and over is how much more there is yet to learn.

One perspective to keep in mind is that, no matter what you want to do, you can can assume it's probably been done and there might even be parts specifically designed to accomplish what you want. Only with research can you uncover if your assumption is no good.

Thanks for coming back with feedback. It's cool to hear you're off and running with some mind-expanding fun.

IKETACH

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Get used to it! Unless you get very deep into this, the one thing you'll keep learning over and over is how much more there is yet to learn.

One perspective to keep in mind is that, no matter what you want to do, you can can assume it's probably been done and there might even be parts specifically designed to accomplish what you want. Only with research can you uncover if your assumption is no good.

Thanks for coming back with feedback. It's cool to hear you're off and running with some mind-expanding fun.
So in reference to this reccomended PWM controller

is this the only one that i could use? Could i program the LEDs to dim without it? if that's possibe would it be worth the time spent writing the code? Is there a cheaper dimmer, cause I do need some kind of dimmer, correct? cause I am a little hesitant to spend $28 on something im not positive i need.