Active Antenna is not working

Caner Adıyaman

Joined Sep 20, 2016
I have decided to use Antenova product which is M20057-1 as an active GPS antenna. I am using Quectel L96 GNSS module. There is an internal chip antenna on L96 module and I have tried the performance of L96 without M20057-1 before. I have achieved to get location data while the device at outdoor but We couldn't get the location data at indoor. That's why I have decided to use an active antenna to improve performance. I have just received the PCB with M20057 and I am not able to get the location data for both indoor and outdoor with M20057-1. So It is obvious that there is problem with the design of the printed circuit board. But I don't know that the problem is matching circuit(does it affect the performance that much), layout or schematic. So Could you please review my schematic and layout to check is there any problem? I know that it quite hard to detect the problem in this way but even your approaches might be pretty useful. I am going to share screenshots of schematics and layout. Waiting for your responses. Best Regards.
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 13.27.42.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-11 at 13.28.03.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How do you know that the problem is with the design of the PCB? An antenna at that high of a frequency and that small of a signal is quite critical in connection, orientation, and adjustment.. Have you tried the new antenna outside, where the chip antenna worked? It may be that inside there still is not enough signal. Getting an adequate GPS signal inside a structure is not often possible.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, I have tried to get the location outside with the new antenna. It is not working. I don't know what the problem is.
I look at the posted circuit in #1 and I do not see anything that looks like the active antenna amplifiers that I have seen before. So I am wondering about that.
I suggest that first you return to the original setup and verify that the system still is functional, in case there has been some other failure develop. And then I suggest investigating a passive antenna with higher gain, such designs do exist and they are quite useful and often less complex. And verify that the new antenna works outside, where the system was known to work correctly, first.