Accurate resistors and capacitors for 555

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd suggest reading both the article and references on Wikipedia Crystals as Oscillators

There is a ton of info out there, including what sort of cut/shear you have for a crystal, and using it as a series or parallel oscillator, depending on the type you have.

Normally, you'd just solder in the crystal with the right number on it, but you may have oscillators, which are 4 pin rectangular packages, opposed to the long oval crystal only type package.

It's a few hours worth of reading, or less if you are familiar with the basics, but required if you are looking for accuracy. Just because there is a crystal involved doesn't mean it is a great oscillator.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Good news! It turns out that I have a bunch of those 4 pin, do it all crystal oscillators. So I can just hook them up to Vdd, ground, and take the output! Will this work well for what I've been talking about?

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
That's not quite the case.

Let's just grab one out of the middle.
23.04MHz / 256 = 90,000 (a dual binary counter would do this)
90,000/9 = 10,000 (a decade or BCD counter could be used for this)
From there it's pretty obvious how to get to 100Hz/10mS.
Is there a specific dual binary counter that you'd recommend for this application? And any specific decade/bcd for the second division?

Thank you again

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is there a specific dual binary counter that you'd recommend for this application?
Actually, something a bit different - a 74HC4060.
The 74HC4060 has an oscillator front end that can be used either with RC values, or a crystal. Take your output from Q8 to get the /256. This will save you from having to use an extra inverter IC or the like.
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74HC_HCT4060.pdf
Take a look at Fig. 13 on page 16 for how to connect a crystal.

If you are going for low power (battery operated) look at a 4000-series 4060 instead, like an HEF4060B or CD4060B.

And any specific decade/bcd for the second division?
The 74HC390:

[edit]
Well I WAS going to suggest the 390, but it doesn't have a terminal count output.
The easiest solution would then be to use a 74HC4017 or 4000-series 4017.

Last edited:

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
I read a few posts ago that you were "afraid of crystals". In an attempt to help you overcome this crystal-phobia, I would like to tell you that a crystal is nothing more than a bandpass filter with a VERY narrow (high-Q) bandwidth. A crystal has an equivalent circuit (approximately) of a an inductor-resistor branch in parallel with a capacitor; this model varies, but the end result is a RLC-type filter.

Armed with this information, you can treat the crystal as a lump of circuit elements that you are familiar with, so circuits such as crystal filters or oscillators will not look as scary. :D

Also, the CD4000 series ICs as well as the 7400s have many different varieties of divide-by-n counters that allow you to divide the input frequency down to one suitable for your 10mS period you seek.

Also, you know those four-pin oscillator cans you have? Those are just back to back inverter gates with a crystal filter "feedback loop" and bias resistor. You can build one yourself with a 7404 hex inverter, crystal, and resistor. If you snoop around the 'net, you'll see various flavors of this circuit here and there.

Hope that helped; happy new year!

Last edited: