Accident Investigation-Rendering time for digital footage- Panasonic wv-sw155

Colonel_Kokomo

Joined Jan 17, 2019
Recently a friend of mine at the company i work for was killed in a work place accident whilst driving heavy machinery.
The machine drivers are always being filmed as they operate the machines by a Panasonic wv-sw155 camera, the footage being saved to the sd card inserted into the camera. The company has claimed that cab footage of the incident does not exist due to there being a time delay between the filming and the footage being rendered and saved on the sd card. Because they've failed to be transparent with other things relating to this investigation, I suspect they haven't been truthful in this matter as well. If anyone could shed some light on whether or not this rendering period is a true thing and if so what they delay would be, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Yes there is a delay. But it it not very much. Milliseconds. You should be able to see everything until camera loses power.

Rendering time is a cover, or diversion.

Just my opinion from stated scenario.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The company's story sounds bogus to me. I can't find any specs for this exact camera to confirm @BR-549 's statement of a few milliseconds, but it is a reasonable estimate and I would be very surprised to learn that the delay is any longer than that. What kind of accident are we talking about? Short of a violent explosion inside that cab which killed your friend and the camera in a fraction of a fraction of second, it should have been recorded. If you wish to expose the lie, you could approach another of these cameras, wave and smile at it, and then smash it with a hammer. If their explanation holds any water, they should not be able to prove who smashed it. Actually you would be doing yourself and coworkers a big favor by smashing every single one of these deficient (and discontinued) cameras on your jobsite, thereby forcing the company to upgrade to a model that actually serves its purpose.

Colonel_Kokomo

Joined Jan 17, 2019
It was a straddle carrier working on a container port which tipped over. The company has claimed that it wasn't mechanical fault which caused the accident, but the driver was driving in a straight line at the time of the accident and had no reason to turn in the manner causing the machine to tip. I'd say that the camera in the cab would've remained powered until the impact.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Do you know if power was disconnected or broken before carrier landed?

Aren't there suppose to be positional/directional limit alarms to prevent this?

The tilt and balance alarms on a 40 ft scissor lift will drive a person nuts!

Colonel_Kokomo

Joined Jan 17, 2019
There are tip alarms fitted but they don't limit speed. Speed only gets limited depending on the height youre carrying the container at and when he went over he didn't have a box on and the spreader which locks on to the container was at the 1 high container position. I'm not sure about the power getting broken but I can't see why it would break before the impact with the ground.