Accelerometer to data logger wiring

Steve15

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi,
Could someone help me in the wiring of an accelerometer to a data logger?

We have an accelerometer I want to connect up. The model 13200C as below on page 17-18:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/24548688/analog-accelerometers-product-catalog-spectrum-sensors-
This sensor has 4 wires (Grey, White, Green, Blue) as the 9 pin connector was removed many years ago.

The data logger is this: https://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/hardware/products/multifunction-io-device.html
National Instruments USB 6001

I'm no expert by any means so please go easy!

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The datasheet shows these connections for those wire colours you quote are you sure there are only 4 wires from the transducer.?
E
AAA 1153 16.10.gif

Steve15

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi Eric,
Thank you for the response. The sensor does indeed have the 4 wires. Please see the attached photo as it's currently connected to an old power supply.
Regards
Steve

Attachments

Steve15

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi Eric,
Could you help me any further please?
Looking at the device pinout attached earlier can you tell me if the following is correct:
Right View:
GREY to '+5v' ?
WHITE to 'D GND' assuming the very end one only is ok ?
GREEN to 'A1 1' ?
BLUE to ???

Sorry if this seams to easy...

Regards

Steve

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Steve,
The sensor datasheet is not much help.
The power pins you quote are correct.
The A1+ and Signal- , I would say are the Accelerator voltage 0 thru +4.5V pair.
Do you have a scope you could measure the signal on this pair.? [while moving the sensor]
E

Clip:
The voltage output for the 13200C and 23200C is
directly proportional to the acceleration along the axis. Each
DC-coupled output is fully scaled, referenced, and
temperature compensated.

Steve15

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi Eric,
Sorry no scope. (it would be lost on me anyway)
This might help...
The connections as they are to the current data acquisition tool (myPCLab) are as attached photo.
Please also find attached the intruction manual.

It appears to me to be '0-10V wiring:
GREEN to ch.1 (5) '+'
BLUE to to ch.1 (6) '-'

The RED (2) & BROWN (3) from the myPCLab don't seam to be connected to anything?

Hope that helps...

Regards

Steve

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The acceleromator IS a powered device and I can see that wires are connected to the power supply terminals, looking at the picture. But sibce you have not mentioned the colors of the other wires you will need to use a meter and discover which color get the positive and which gets the negative voltage. Polarity certainly matters a great deal in these connections. Without power you will not have any useful output voltage.

Steve15

Joined Sep 9, 2014
The acceleromator IS a powered device and I can see that wires are connected to the power supply terminals, looking at the picture. But sibce you have not mentioned the colors of the other wires you will need to use a meter and discover which color get the positive and which gets the negative voltage. Polarity certainly matters a great deal in these connections. Without power you will not have any useful output voltage.
Thank you for the reply MisterBill2,
The power supply you see above is an old one. We are disconnecting the accelerometer from it and I intend to connect it to the new bus powered data logger. As far as I'm aware the accelerometer will get it's power from the the data logger (National Instruments USB 6001).
The accelerometer has 4 wires and and simply want to understand where they go on the logger's terminal blocks (see page 10 of the above attachment 374369a(2).pdf).
Hope that makes sense.
Regards
Steve

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If that chart is correct then the positive power connection is the grey wire and the negative is the white wire . The positive signal connection would be the red wire and the negative signal connection would be the brown wire.

As for the signal input connections, that chart on page 10, with the numbering as shown, mkes no sense.

And presently I need to dsh off to work so I can comment more later.