AC to DC Power adapter.

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Hello, I am wanting to power a 12v 20W halogen bulb for my Xmas tree.
I have been looking online at the various adapters and found out that my old virgin media adapter is 12vdc outpu,t ( never new that ).
Basically, could I use this for the above application and also for other projects requiring 12v dc.
Thank you very much, John... :)

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I recommend checking the actual voltage on your bulb when it’s running. It may be quite a bit more than 12V and this may shorten bulb life, if you care.

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
I recommend checking the actual voltage on your bulb when it’s running. It may be quite a bit more than 12V and this may shorten bulb life, if you care.
Hello Wayneh, Thanks for your reply.
I have 3 of these bulbs from Poundland so I am not bothered about lifespan.
I just wanted to check if it was safe to use it on my 12v dc projects.
Example, power some 12v led strip lights. or a 12v motor etc.
Thanks John... :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I just wanted to check if it was safe to use it on my 12v dc projects.
It's probably fine for most. See the dashed line under the solid line? That indicates DC output. But don't take for granted that it's 12V or that it's quiet. It might have significant ripple in it. That wouldn't bother a motor or a lightbulb but it might mess up logic circuits or audio. For LEDs, make sure the voltage is within range to avoid burning them out.

Note that halogen bulbs last longer on AC. With DC, the filament vapors do not re-deposit onto the filament, or something like that.

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
It's probably fine for most. See the dashed line under the solid line? That indicates DC output. But don't take for granted that it's 12V or that it's quiet. It might have significant ripple in it. That wouldn't bother a motor or a lightbulb but it might mess up logic circuits or audio. For LEDs, make sure the voltage is within range to avoid burning them out.

Note that halogen bulbs last longer on AC. With DC, the filament vapors do not re-deposit onto the filament, or something like that.
That's really great info Wayneh, thank you very much for your help
John... :)