ac to dc motor

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hi all,
I have gotten hold of an AC magnet motor. I am wondering if it could be run as a DC motor.. The reason is, when this motor is spun by hand, 12 volts come out. So, as a motor/generator on something like an electric bicycle it would be useful.
With all thanks,
Dan

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Yes, the rotor has definite N/S poles, So, if no to DC operation, how about some type of hybrid? Like a DC pulse? And why not? Not to be an A--, just do not understand why.
Dan

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can approximate a sine wave by PWM to drive the motor (if you know how to do it and its not easy) but there are ready devices on the market called inverters which make this job.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey mik3,
Yes, very well acquainted with inverters, and thank you for the response. I would be glad to have some knowledge as to why this motor is so foreign to straight DC operation. And, yes, I have done much research on inverting AC to DC motors. I do run into a wall when sine wave inverters are mentioned.
Dan

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hey mik3,
I would be glad to have some knowledge as to why this motor is so foreign to straight DC operation.
The magnet rotor to rotate needs a rotating field around it which is created by the stator. This field can be created only with AC voltages which are out of phase, in the case of a 3-phase system, or by a single phase with the help of a capacitor. If you apply a DC voltage the field will be stationary and also you will burn the stator windings. Some motors can operate with both AC and DC voltages and are called universal motors.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Use the red and yellow wires which are the run winding of the motor. You can use also the red-blue wires but the internal resistance of the winding is greater. Remove the capacitor.