Ac to Dc conversion using a capacitor

Bradleypryce

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Hi I'm struggling with a uni assignment as I've never touched on electronics before, could anybody tell me what would happen if the resistance value was increased to 100kohms from the attached photo please.
IMG_20191201_210024.jpg

MOD EDIT: Replaced 6.8 MB image with 154 kB one.

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Please don't just answer their homework questions for them. The intent is for the person to think about it and try to figure it out, not just have it spoon fed to them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi I'm struggling with a uni assignment as I've never touched on electronics before, could anybody tell me what would happen if the resistance value was increased to 100kohms from the attached photo please.
I guess the better question is why is this the first problem you have been given if, as you say, you have never touched on electronics before. Somebody is going at this in the worst possible way. It might be you, or it might be your instructor, it has to be one or the other.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Describe you understanding of why the output looks the way it does in that picture.

Why does the output start out very near the peak of the input voltage each time?

Why does the output fall between input peaks?

Why doesn't it fall faster, or slower, than it does?

What things control the rate at which it falls?

It might help to keep in mind that the output voltage is always the voltage across that capacitor and the output current is the current through that resistor.