AC motor stop

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
A shot of DC into an AC motor will stop the motor. Plan is to open one of the 240 V AC lines and insert a NC, SW in parallel with a diode. Opening the SW will send the DC shot to the motor; the regular motor SW is shut off at the same time. What should the PIV and A ratings of the two diodes be?

1) max draw 8A, operating draw 3-4 A (table saw)
2) " " 5A " " 2-3 A (radial arm saw)

How long would it take (us or several sec.) for the varnish on the windings to melt? or would that even be a problem?

I'm aware of the inertial hazard of the blade coming off - turn the saw back on quickly.

advice and experience welcomed

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have never tried nor wanted to do that with a single-phase motor. A free-wheeling DC motor can be stopped in about a rotation or two, which would mean about 50 to 100 mS at 1200 rpm. I used that method with a high-speed winch to keep it from back lashing as the line was fed out. John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You could think about using a lower voltage through a transformer and rectifier. Possibly 24 volts @ 2 -3 amps. More current limiting that way. So no smoke from the coils, or spinning blades loose in the shop.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If it's breaking you want, why not simply swap the supply for a resistive load? With the supply removed and the load in place, the inductive motor becomes a generator. Kinetic energy of the motor and saw quickly becomes heat dissipated by the resistive load.

All that is needed is a power resistor and a double-pole double-throw break-before-make switch.