AC Motor & Driver circuit

MrNobody

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Hi,
I am doing a automated clothes dryer for a college project.. Nothing fancy...
Basically, if the sensor sence that there is enough sunlight and it is not raining, the door will open and the clothes dryer 'pole'/clothes hanger will come out.

Refer to the image to see how the clothes dryer 'pole'/clothes hanger looks like.

The question i have here is what kind of motor do I need to use for the hanger..? The motor needs to be able to push/pull the weight of 15 jeans (completely soaked) + plus the hanger material, either to be constructed with wood or metal.

I have tried to google for it for days but couldn't find what I need..
Thanks for helping.

Joe S.

Joined Aug 28, 2006
Hi,

The question i have here is what kind of motor do I need to use for the hanger..? The motor needs to be able to push/pull the weight of 15 jeans (completely soaked) + plus the hanger material, either to be constructed with wood or metal.

Thanks for helping.
You might look for Linear Actuators - used many places especially Satellite Dishes.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

There is not enough detail for a good answer. A Saginaw linear actuator will push over a brick wall, but won't support the off-center load of your design. Any motor that can spin an Acme nut can run a shaft in and out, but it can't take the end loading.

What sort of space and other constraints do you have? Does this thing have to push out of a third story window, or does it run out at ground level? Can the moving end be supported in some manner? Do you mind if it runs in and out every time a cloud passes "over" the sun?

MrNobody

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Hmm.. here are more details about the project.
The hollow tube is attached to the wall, so, the pole, when it is moved by the motor will slide along (or in and out) the hollow tube.. That is to guide the pole movement and to prevent the hanger from falling off.
Sorry, there are some error on the drawing as the hollow tube is not attached to the motor. In fact, the distance of the hollow tube from the motor is slightly longer than the teeth length so that when the hanger is completely pulled in, the teeth will not hit against the hollow tube.
The movement of the hanger is horizontal so, the motor only needs to move the maximum weight of 20KG.
By the way, there are 2 motor to move the hanger, one on each side of the wall (left and right side). So, what is the horsepower of the motor I need to get..?

As for the the situation where the clouds blocks the sun from the sensor, that section is taken care of already, as in the circuit is designed in such a way that the 'problem' will not occur..

The only part i need advise is what kind of motor to use (I presume it is AC motor but synchronous or induction motor?) and also how to cause the motor to rotate forward and backward (the motor driver circuit with limiting switch).

Hope the information given is sufficient..
Thanks heaps..

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

You need to find out how much force is needed to move the device. Something like a spring scale will do the trick. Extend it with the wet clothes in place, and see how hard you have to pull.

Bodine Electric makes a line of reversible AC gear head motors. They are sometimes available surplus at the American Science and Surplus site. I don't know about your gearing issues, but look for one that can put enough torque on the output shaft to move the load, as determined by the spring scale (or perhaps a bathroom scale pushing against the end of the shaft).

cenee

Joined Apr 20, 2006
Hi,
I am doing a automated clothes dryer for a college project.. Nothing fancy...
Basically, if the sensor sence that there is enough sunlight and it is not raining, the door will open and the clothes dryer 'pole'/clothes hanger will come out.

Refer to the image to see how the clothes dryer 'pole'/clothes hanger looks like.
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/822/motorhangerxv7.png

Thanks for helping.
-------------------------------------
This is if you need an idea. For the motor, I would use something like those found inside the car doors, (to open windows). Use a set of gears and you will have a great deal of torque. Again, just an idea. Good luck

Attachments