Ac dc adaptor ..i am clueless..

kirikara

Joined Mar 29, 2005
hello you, knowledgable people :)
i just foudn your forum and it seems really high level of electronics to me ..however it is the only forum that i found that could answer my really easy question.
so..i ahve a minidisc player whose charger is dead.
it is 6volt ac/dc adaprot 800ma
i found that really cheap ac/dc unregulated adaptor which runs form 3vto 12v but is only 300ma..
before opening it i want to make sure that it could be suitbale for my player.
i am hoping so as it was much cheaper than the other one if found.. :p,,can anybody tell me if
1) that will work
2) it will work but with time might damage my player 9i dont think i wil be using that adaptor more than ten times)
3) i can rush tot he shop and get a refund because there is no way it can work

thank you in advance

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Yes, assuming it has a 6V output it will work.

The original charger had a capacity of 800mA because it was a charger.

To run the player, without charging, 300mA will be sufficient.

kirikara

Joined Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by David Bridgen@Mar 29 2005, 08:56 PM
Yes, assuming it has a 6V output it will work.

The original charger had a capacity of 800mA because it was a charger.

To run the player, without charging, 300mA will be sufficient.
[post=6532]Quoted post[/post]​
well i am not sure i made myself clear
the player runs on a rechargeable (lithium??) battery and i was using the ac/dc adaptor that came wiht it to "charge " it...
now, are you telling me that the only way the adaptor will play would be if it is plugged int he main.. and that the adaptor i bought, the 300mA, will not actually "charge" the battery so i can use my player wihtout having it plugged?
thanks for your answer.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
sry but there is no really easy way to make a charger to charge batteries without something being plugged in :(... If that was the case we would never have disposable batteries lol :lol:
thx l8er

-fire

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by kirikara@Mar 29 2005, 11:51 PM
well i am not sure i made myself clear
the player runs on a rechargeable (lithium??) battery and i was using the ac/dc adaptor that came wiht it to "charge " it...
now, are you telling me that the only way the adaptor will play would be if it is plugged int he main.. and that the adaptor i bought, the 300mA, will not actually "charge" the battery so i can use my player wihtout having it plugged?
thanks for your answer.
[post=6545]Quoted post[/post]​
I think that as the original charger could deliver 800mA there is a chance that the 300mA one wouldn't satisfactorily operate the player and charge the battery. Or at least it would take a lot longer for the battery to get fully charged.

The manufacturer would almost certainly not have provided an 800mA device if a more modest current would have been sufficient.

It may be sufficient if you have the patience to wait longer for the charging process, but don't be surprised if it isn't.

luggage13

Joined Mar 30, 2005
I once questioned wether it was ok to use the wrong power supply for a laptop because i noticed someone using a power supply that output 1/5 fewer amps than the original power supply.

I was told that it was ok it just wouldn't charge the battery as fast especily when the laptop was in use.

So your adaptor probibly would work I don't believe it would do damage to the device but it would be pretty slow. If it was a little closer to the original amount I'd say go with it for sure but it's quite diffrent.

kirikara

Joined Mar 29, 2005
thanks a lot for your help...
it works PERFECTLY!!! :D
i charged it this morning and for obviously several hour..
and i am tesitng it and it been working for 6 hours now non stop..
all that for 3 pounds
thanks for your help!