AC 180V Do Nothing But 60V AC I got electric Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Starter

Venkateszr

Joined Aug 30, 2018
16
I am from India ( Standard voltage 230V). In auto transformer i set the output voltage 60V & i touch the output in bare hand & i got electric shock.
But when i touch output 180V through the isolated transformer i feel nothing. really i don't know what is Happen ?
 

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
2,362
If you don't understand the reason for this you should not be playing with high voltages. Depending on the way the auto transformer is connected the 60 volt tap will be either 60 volts or 170 WITH RESPECT to earth. Your body will probably have a path to earth so current can flow though your body hence the shock. With the isolating transformer the output has no path to earth so you could touch either output terminal BUT NOT BOTH without getting a shock.

Les.
 

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
538
Is one of the two legs of your 230 Volts Mains wires grounded at the Main Circuit Breaker Panel?
Restated ... Do you have a 230 Volt Hot Wire and a Neutral Wire?
If true then the auto-transformer's "common" wire should be connected to the Neutral Wire.

A problem with Auto-Transformers ( Hot & Neutral Inputs reversed ) ....
https://www.gson.org/stepdown/
 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

Venkateszr

Joined Aug 30, 2018
16
If you don't understand the reason for this you should not be playing with high voltages. Depending on the way the auto transformer is connected the 60 volt tap will be either 60 volts or 170 WITH RESPECT to earth. Your body will probably have a path to earth so current can flow though your body hence the shock. With the isolating transformer the output has no path to earth so you could touch either output terminal BUT NOT BOTH without getting a shock.

Les.
I touch the both terminal nothing happened
 

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
19,198
IIRC India has the same as UK, 1ph and the star neutral grounded at the transformer, so regardless if the neutral is re-referenced to GND at the service panel, there will be a potential to earth ground from the live conductor.
Max.
 

Thread Starter

Venkateszr

Joined Aug 30, 2018
16
Well if you can't feel 179V, then you are truly an amazing person. :rolleyes:
just do one experiment , set 30v in auto transformer and touch both output terminal definitely you feel electric shock me also. but set 30V in isolated transformer and touch both terminal i feel nothing i think you also feel nothing . just do it...........( Please don't do that if you are don't have practical and theoretical knowledge in power electrical)
 
Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
5,950
Please stop touching things. You have a voltmeter for measuring potential -use it instead of your body. In case of an accident your meter can be replaced, while you cannot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top