Above my head question

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, if you took a wireless doorbell, then run cat6 or 5 to it, how could I use the cat config to speak to it. Would it require me to completely re-design the circuit or remove one chip to another.

The reason is a direct communication doesn’t have the connection drop issue as wireless can.
kv

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You probably couldn't easily as most wireless video doorbells have very little audio in them. the mic, maybe with a preamp, usually goes direct into an ADC, and the audio comes off a DAC with a small ampto drive the speaker...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So, if you took a wireless doorbell, then run cat6 or 5 to it, how could I use the cat config to speak to it. Would it require me to completely re-design the circuit or remove one chip to another.

The reason is a direct communication doesn’t have the connection drop issue as wireless can.
kv
There is no a priori reason why a wireless product would have any reason to have a wired interface of any description. This of course does not mean that one is impossible, it just seems unlikely.

In vehicles it is the case that USB charging connectors are also USB data ports that allow a phone to interface with the vehicle display for navigation. I'm not certain if there is or is not a connection between the USB ports and the Bluetooth interface.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

kv
One of the prime reasons I don't use wireless for security devices. If I had no choice I would have a dedicated (higher quality) security AP with an working auto channel scanner (the scanner on cheap ones only select from a few preset channels) to find the channels with the least interference or manually select a good channel. There are apps for cell phones that will do a detailed scan and show where the good channels are. Many times you will see one or two of the cheap 'auto' channels completely congested while leaving others open.
1677605703366.png

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Likely the simplest and best approach is to buy a wired system.
Most home security systems don’t. But a high issue with building materials brick. Increase drops repeat drops that could have an alternative.

kv

Edit: Correct adopt a wired or not. Not for the consumer but the company should adopt it, sell the concept.

bidrohini

Joined Jul 29, 2022
It's easier to consider using a wired doorbell instead of a wireless one. There are many wired doorbell systems available that can be easily connected to a network via Ethernet or other wired connections. This may be a simpler and safer solution for your needs.