About the device "capacitor wizard"

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
i began to read one ebook about notebook repairing and see the following :
Untitled.png
So...
can i use my cheap ESR meter and what to expect for good one and bad one capacitor?

Thanks

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
i began to read one ebook about notebook repairing and see the following :
View attachment 137412
So...
can i use my cheap ESR meter and what to expect for good one and bad one capacitor?

Thanks
There isn't really any hard and fast rule, it depends on what the cap is used in.

SMPSU applications have formidable ESR specifications, audio amplifiers are a bit more tolerant.

Mine gets the most use verifying that replacement parts are better than the ones I took out.

Use your eyes first and weed out any electrolytics with any extent of deformed can.

Any electrolytic running hot isn't any good, or soon won't be. Sometimes running hot is obvious from the state of the plastic sleeve.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There is a table of typical ESR values here.
For what it's worth, I bought a bunch of new electrolytics not too long ago and measured them with my DIY meter. None showed more than 5Ω of ESR. Some of the old ones I was replacing were as high as 40Ω. These are lower values than shown in that table, but of course that device probably uses a different set of conditions.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
i have here one video card of my best friend.

If i remember right it was just died. I maybe do reheat of the chip but more interesting is to make first measure for ESR with ESR Meter.

The bigger ones capacitors are 270/16v

i see 220 and 470 in the table. What to expect for 270/16 :)