About SBCs and TV Boxes

XukeLho

Joined Apr 5, 2018
I'm thinking about buying an Odroid XU4, but I can't help but wonder "Could there be an android box that is more or equally powerfull but cheaper?"
I want to run a 'Desktop' version of android on the device, and with the amount of android boxes out there, I just can't and don't know enough about hardware to find the answer.
Can anyone recomend me an XU4 alternative?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What is your desired outcome? aka what are you planning on doing with this device?
Those android boxes always tell you the processor/speed/memory in them..

But in order to answer if something else is suitable you need to know what you need...

XukeLho

Joined Apr 5, 2018
What is your desired outcome? aka what are you planning on doing with this device?
Those android boxes always tell you the processor/speed/memory in them..

But in order to answer if something else is suitable you need to know what you need...
I know the boxes allways display theyr hardware, but i don't know much about that subject. That is why I searched for a forum where people do. I want to watch Netflix, YouTube, Plex and parsec. Basically its just for video streaming. The video must be FHD (with the exception for Netflix, that has some restrictions). I may do some light gaming but it is not really a priority. I can game with parsec.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In general any of the boxes will work just fine..
I actually just got my Plex server setup last night and am viewing it on one of the $50 or so boxes you talk of and I've been using it for a few years now with Kodi,etc.... For the most part its just fine.. BUT I am going to be upgrading to an Nvidia Shield as there are enough bugs in all of those android boxes and most of them are sort of weird mix of software that doesn't always play well together.. It basically need to reboot it maybe once a day to get around the "glitches" so its not super bad at all..
but the Nvidia Shield is hands down superior to any of those "discount" boxes..
You certainly want 2G of RAM as a minimum.. In general any of them that have that and mention quad or octo core are just fine "for the price"

XukeLho

Joined Apr 5, 2018
In general any of the boxes will work just fine..
I actually just got my Plex server setup last night and am viewing it on one of the $50 or so boxes you talk of and I've been using it for a few years now with Kodi,etc.... For the most part its just fine.. BUT I am going to be upgrading to an Nvidia Shield as there are enough bugs in all of those android boxes and most of them are sort of weird mix of software that doesn't always play well together.. It basically need to reboot it maybe once a day to get around the "glitches" so its not super bad at all..
but the Nvidia Shield is hands down superior to any of those "discount" boxes..
You certainly want 2G of RAM as a minimum.. In general any of them that have that and mention quad or octo core are just fine "for the price"
Alright! That is what I wanted to hear: "
2G of RAM as a minimum... mention quad or octo...
" Now I know what to look for.
Another question. Will this box have a similar performance to the XU4? https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_607542.html
They appear to have similar specs but since the XU4 will require adicional purchases (box, power supply, memory, etc), makes it a bit more expensive option

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That certainly looks like it would do the job without any problems at all..
For your needs the XU4 is really "more than needed"..

I actually looked at the XU4 to create the standalone NAS for plex... Its nicely equipped for that but is an overkill for the most part for just the viewing piece of hardware.. So unless you are planning on making this box your Plex server itself then I see little reason to need a Xu4..

Of course having overkill really isn't a big deal here and can help "future proof" if more..

XukeLho

Joined Apr 5, 2018
That certainly looks like it would do the job without any problems at all..
For your needs the XU4 is really "more than needed"..

I actually looked at the XU4 to create the standalone NAS for plex... Its nicely equipped for that but is an overkill for the most part for just the viewing piece of hardware.. So unless you are planning on making this box your Plex server itself then I see little reason to need a Xu4..

Of course having overkill really isn't a big deal here and can help "future proof" if more..
Thank you (Y)