About Guns etc

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Another great book is "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matt Braken, I have an autographed copy of that one also.

They are sometimes at machine gun shoots participating in the fun, which is how I got the copies. Amazon is selling that, there are more in the series by Matt.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
FN P90 ... could maybe conceal that in a wheelchair ;)
Utility over aesthetics I guess; That's one of the ugliest guns I've seen. If I were to buy a tactical rifle, it would be an M4 - everybody knows what that is, and they know whats about to happen when they see it. You pull that P90 on someone and they might think you're some kind of battlestar gallactica fan... until it starts vomiting lead.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
FN P90 ... could maybe conceal that in a wheelchair ;)
Utility over aesthetics I guess; That's one of the ugliest guns I've seen. If I were to buy a tactical rifle, it would be an M4 - everybody knows what that is, and they know whats about to happen when they see it. You pull that P90 on someone and they might think you're some kind of battlestar gallactica fan... until it starts vomiting lead.
The P90 certainly isn't a nice-looking gun, and from what I've gathered it's not really a very good gun. Sure, it works, but I'm sure there are better choices.

How about one of these?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The P90 certainly isn't a nice-looking gun, and from what I've gathered it's not really a very good gun. Sure, it works, but I'm sure there are better choices.
Actually, I like the design. In my business, I not only do hardware and software, but packaging too. In my eye, this is a nicely 'packaged' gun, and its got a lot of nice features, especially the ergonomics (ergonomics != pretty). I didn't say its the best, but its one that I'd like to have in my collection, if only to look at, handle, and play with it.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
BTW, my local gun dealer has one of these on his shelf for $1,900. This is going to be my next gun:

Just need to figure out how to carry it concealed...
Funny that, I got it's brother today, the FN FS2000

Very compact and shoots straight, but the trigger needs a lot of work. 9+lb pull with a "Glock Sponge" feel to it.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...with a "Glock Sponge" feel to it.
I like my Glock trigger, although it is upgraded to a 3.5 lb Ghost trigger, and all the 'friction' surfaces are finely polished.

With my 19, I can shoot a 3" group at 7 yards, and 5" at 15 at about 2-3 rounds per second. Not sure if this is good or not, but its better than the other guys at the range. And this is after about 4,000 rounds through the same gun!

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
WOW, 6 pages
I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but Ima quote the bill of rights
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I like indiana, they said we needed to have a full database and search it anytime someone bought a gun, so we built a massivley powerful sustem and the entire thing can be searched in seconds from any computer, instead of the days or weeks everyone was originally thinking it would take. :)

also worth noting, my girlfriends dad is a cop, plenty of guns :) (including a legit sniper rifle)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
How much does a daily excursion at the shooting range cost for you guys?
My local county park has a (outdoor) gun range where I can shoot all day for about $8. But the rules are pretty strict: 15 minutes between target changes, no rapid fire, safety inspections, etc.

I usually go to my gun shop where he has two indoor ranges (rifle, handgun), and the rules are less stringent. But he charges $18/hour. That's ok, though, cause I usually blow through 200 rounds in about 30-45 minutes. Any more shooting, and I wouldn't be able to afford the ammo!

The only thing I can't do in either range is practice drawing live fire from my concealed holster. But there is another range for that :).

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I reload all of my ammunition, the cost varies with the caliber/bullet.
My favorite is the .45 auto which I can reload for about $8
a hundred. I shoot about 5,000 of those a year. I build/maintai all the steel targets at the range, in turn I get to shoot there for free.
.308 ammunition on the other hand cost about $14 a hundred, and I don't shoot nearly as much of that.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The cost of the ammo varies a lot. I don't reload, that would save me money but never got into it. When I had a Glock 29 (10mm, oddball round) it cost me about 30$ retail for a box of 50 at every range I went to (if they had it at all). 9mm box of 50 can be had at the range for around 10$. I sold the G29 and got a .45ACP; it is a good balance between the power & the price of the 9mm and the 10mm and it's the best personal protection pistol you can have IMO. Any caliber, you can order in bulk and pay a much more reasonable price; that's what I do.

BTW I have a legit sniper rifle as well, abeit an old (WWII) one. It is a British Enfield .303 - I still shoot it every once in a while but it isn't very enjoyable. It has no kind of recoil suppression, and a brass butt with bolt heads protruding out into your shoulder. I want to get a .308.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I tried a Glock 30 (45 acp) no joy! Couldn't get used to the trigger, I'm a die hard 1911 fan. Trigger pull short and sweet.
I also have a couple of WW2 rifles, but they are M1 Garands, one is the standard 30--06 and the other is a shortened version called a "Tanker Garand" it's in .308.