about free WIFI

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks.
I wont wast my time on that.
I was thinking that may have some possibility according to the principle of Radio receive Radio signal.
WiFi is a bidirectional protocol that requires a client register with the access point using credentials including a shared secret (password). It operates at 2.4 and 5.8 GHz, the antennas required will never look like coils of wire or other nonsense.

The best defense against such fraud is a little learning about the nature of WiFi and other wireless services.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Even if any of those devices worked, it would be based on stealing someone else's wifi signal, a crime in many countries...
Thanks.
Well, the cell phone if you have data plan, you can use WiFi anywhere almost. Is that means there are WiFi signals everywhere? Can or can't receive the signal depend on the SIM card be or not be activated, right? Then there are some thing may be done? and if OK, you just use the free signal floating in space not from any one's router, right?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When someone offers you something for free, you have to think of what their motives could be. I'll use free WiFi from companies I patronize, but I take care not to expose my data to the network. It's a pain in the a** to have to do that, but it's a real risk.

One time I connected to the free WiFi at a hotel. One person on the network had all of their data exposed. I peeked, but I didn't take anything. Now I'll connect my phone or tablet to free WiFi, but not my computer. I'll only tether it to my phone

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
When someone offers you something for free, you have to think of what their motives could be. I'll use free WiFi from companies I patronize, but I take care not to expose my data to the network. It's a pain in the a** to have to do that, but it's a real risk.

One time I connected to the free WiFi at a hotel. One person on the network had all of their data exposed. I peeked, but I didn't take anything. Now I'll connect my phone or tablet to free WiFi, but not my computer. I'll only tether it to my phone
Thanks.
That's free WiFi offer from some Router which you need log in.
Curious, 'all of their data exposed', what kind of the data except their USER name and password?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Curious, 'all of their data exposed', what kind of the data except their USER name and password?
Many files. I browsed the music, but I didn't peek too much and had no inclination to steal anything. I didn't look for anything containing passwords or other personal information.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks.
Well, the cell phone if you have data plan, you can use WiFi anywhere almost. Is that means there are WiFi signals everywhere? Can or can't receive the signal depend on the SIM card be or not be activated, right? Then there are some thing may be done? and if OK, you just use the free signal floating in space not from any one's router, right?
Your phone’s data plan operates on the cellular infrastructure, not WiFi.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Both actually, but yes mostly cellular. My phone automatically connects to wifi networks if it can, for instance at home or in the stores I frequent. Strictly cellular otherwise.
Yes. I was talking about the context of the video and the question.