AAC Upgrade Thread - Feedback & Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I ran into an image attach problem the other day and was trying to find just what are the file types and size limits for attachments. I couldn't find it anywhere here. Just what are the pertinent parameters as to type and size?
I tried posting the same image with lesser and lesser resolution until it finally posted. My anecdotal evidence seems to show that 1MB is the max file size for .jpgs.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Other problems coming up today.
Could not edit a 'reply'.
Smilies seem to have stopped working. Typing the usual colon dash close paren does nothing as it seems to disappear.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I'm surprised that you, as a moderator, advocate posting zip files. They have a bad reputation for harbouring malware. Does the forum software do comprehensive virus-scanning of all uploads?
Although I'm not encourage our members all use .zip file to upload, but since the system allowed to use it, unless you have a better idea, otherwise when the members upload the image files resolution over 3000x3000, some files even over 3800x3800 and it will make the download time too long, some members maybe used the low speed to connecting to our site, so the system have to limits the file size to upload, we are welcome you to provides the good methods to improve the forum application.

The EE forums in Taiwan almost only provides 800x600 .jpg, maybe some will provides as 1024x768, if the pictures too large then you have to cut it to many pieces, do you want to using that way, or our members will doing that way?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Although I'm not encourage our members all use .zip file to upload, but since the system allowed to use it, unless you have a better idea, otherwise when the members upload the image files resolution over 3000x3000, some files even over 3800x3800 and it will make the download time too long, some members maybe used the low speed to connecting to our site, so the system have to limits the file size to upload, we are welcome you to provides the good methods to improve the forum application.

The EE forums in Taiwan almost only provides 800x600 .jpg, maybe some will provides as 1024x768, if the pictures too large then you have to cut it to many pieces, do you want to using that way, or our members will doing that way?
Perhaps an on site downsasmpler program?
That way they would do it themselves or have it done with some button or something for them.
A warning that the image will be downsized would be good so they know to check the image quality after upload.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
What kind of images file used that large size and how is the x, y resolution?
Here's the skinny on the image file:

File Name: IMG_0331.JPG [69/195]
Image Size: 1.5MB
Date Modified: 2019/11/09 11:30:22
Image Information: 4032x3024 (Jpeg,YUV,sRGB)

Make: Apple
Camera Model: iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
Software: 12.4
Shooting Date/Time: 2019/11/08 21:15:54
Flash: Yes
Focal Length: 3.99mm (35mm Equivalent: 28mm)
Exposure Time: 0.003s (1/351)
Aperture Number: f/1.8
ISO Speed: 20
Exposure Program: Program (auto)
Metering Mode: Spot

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Could use something like irfanview to reduce the resolution.
Many methods can be reduce the resolution, even using the paint can do the job, the problem is that our members didn't do it before they upload the files, specially the new members, they just upload it after took the pictures, that will caused the high resolution images to upload to the forums, I already modified much more of that kinds of files, sometimes uploaded the files as .png, but it should be .jpg files, so it would caused the file size too large.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I find the "NEW POSTS" button to be almost useless. When I post, I look to see if my post is at the top of the page. NEW POSTS shows every post but mine. And RECENT POSTS needs to show more than just 10 posts.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Here's the skinny on the image file:

File Name: IMG_0331.JPG [69/195]
Image Size: 1.5MB
Date Modified: 2019/11/09 11:30:22
Image Information: 4032x3024 (Jpeg,YUV,sRGB)

Make: Apple
Camera Model: iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
Software: 12.4
Shooting Date/Time: 2019/11/08 21:15:54
Flash: Yes
Focal Length: 3.99mm (35mm Equivalent: 28mm)
Exposure Time: 0.003s (1/351)
Aperture Number: f/1.8
ISO Speed: 20
Exposure Program: Program (auto)
Metering Mode: Spot
Often you can also reduce the JPG quality if you have a program that can save JPG's.
With very high res photos like 4000x3000 you can reduce the file size by setting the quality to 50 percent or less. All but the most demanding images work out ok like that. The dimensions dont change they would stay 4000x3000 if that's ok.
What i usually do is try several image reduction sizes starting at maybe 2000 max for either dimension, then work down to 1400 max and maybe even lower while checking the image for clarity. Only with the most important images do i leave at max resolution of the camera or original.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Often you can also reduce the JPG quality if you have a program that can save JPG's.
With very high res photos like 4000x3000 you can reduce the file size by setting the quality to 50 percent or less. All but the most demanding images work out ok like that. The dimensions dont change they would stay 4000x3000 if that's ok.
What i usually do is try several image reduction sizes starting at maybe 2000 max for either dimension, then work down to 1400 max and maybe even lower while checking the image for clarity. Only with the most important images do i leave at max resolution of the camera or original.
Well aware of all this. What I would like to know, is what exactly IS the new software's requirement for posting pictures, etc.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Well aware of all this. What I would like to know, is what exactly IS the new software's requirement for posting pictures, etc.
Hi,

Oh yeah i dont know yet. Maybe you could try some pics of different sizes to get a feel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.