A project for Digital Logic

PraveshKoirala

Joined Jan 25, 2012
Hello everyone!! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So I beg your pardon for any wrong I may commit.
Now as for my problem. My Digital Logic teacher just finished our Combinational logic section. And he has given us an assignment. We are required to build a project using our new-found knowledge (using basic gates only). So my problem is, I've never done these sort of project before and I'm confused as to what to make (we are only required to provide the schematics). So, it would be a great help if you guys could suggest me some small projects.

Thanks!

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Here is an idea:-

7 LEDs arranged like the face of a dice. 3 on each side, 1 in the middle.

So there is 6 possible states: 1 - 6. Some of the LEDs can be connected together.

Draw the logic circuit that can drive these LEDs and cycle through the 6 states in order when an input is clocked.

You will need to use basic gates plus 3 flip-flops (which can be made from basic gates). Why 3?

Too difficult? Start with a truth table for the 7 LEDs. Example: the center LED lights on states 1, 3 and 5 only.

Then a State Diagram. Then combinational logic. Finally the circuit.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
The most often project example used when I was in college was digital clocks using seven segment displays and shift registers. Granted these are using more than just basic gates. I made a circuit with a keypad to be used with a electric lock. Enter the right code and the lock opens. You can do this with basic gates and a few buttons. Something you can do is look around your house and look at things that you think could be automated or electronically controlled. Then, as JDT stated, start with a truth table and move on from there.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You could code an algorithmic procedure, such as making breakfast, using a Finite State Machine. In a VERY abstract level, though.