Finally, a Breadboard Friendly Tactile Switch

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As many of you may already know, I buy a lot of components, modules, and development boards. Sometimes I write them up in the general forum but I have decided to put them in a blog instead. The idea is to let people know about good products worth buying they might otherwise not e aware of.

Particularly, high value or exceptional value items that have great uutility or other qualities that make them outstanding. Many of these—in fact the bulk of them—will come from places like AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, and other online retailers so in theory they should be avaialble no matter your location.

The first post in Mailbag is up, and I would greatly appreciate feedback about format, content, and utility. Is this something you would find useful? Would you like to see more? Is there anything you can suggest to improve it? Is there something or some category you personally would like to see written about?

All constructive feedback is welcomed, postiive or negative. Thanks!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
On the topic of buying and storing large quantities, I have experienced failed toggle and slide switches after 20 years or more.

I would suggest storing the tactile switches in tightly sealed bags with a small packet of silica gel.
I would even suggest separating them in smaller quantities and sealing them with a food saver heat sealer with a packet of silica gel in each bag.

When I order ICs they are shipped in rails in sealed antistatic bags with silica gel. I don't open the bags until ready for use.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You are exactly right, thanks for mentioning it.

I have examples of older switched that have oxidized contacts internally after decades of no use, so I agree. Moisture and oxygen are killers over the long haul. I use these for the oxygen, they seem to work, but I haven’t had anything stored that way long enough to be sure.

It’s a good point, just sitting around can wear things out.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have some very similar ones but dang if I can remember their source. Maybe AliX? They stand a bit off the breadboard on wobbly legs so I modified some for bread boarding to single and double width. Not the best picture but you get the idea.
1662917282685.png

I've also done the same kind of mod on these SPDT switches as the legs are a bit thin and don't stick well on the breadboard.
1662917856453.png

And a few more heavy duty types. Note that the pushbuttons can be used NO or NC.
1662918648203.png

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I just purchased this USB meter from Ali-expr.. under $20. It costs less than the ones we use at work.

it’s accurate and very handy for checking voltage and current for any USB device. I wish the case was more robust, it has a diy feel to it. The large color display is nice. I don’t see any need for logging but it’s there.

I suggest looking for this in a better case, I’m worried it will get crunched.

2F9F354F-FF95-4F78-800B-C3FE0910D34C.jpeg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have some very similar ones but dang if I can remember their source. Maybe AliX? They stand a bit off the breadboard on wobbly legs so I modified some for bread boarding to single and double width. Not the best picture but you get the idea.
View attachment 276042

I've also done the same kind of mod on these SPDT switches as the legs are a bit thin and don't stick well on the breadboard.
View attachment 276043

And a few more heavy duty types. Note that the pushbuttons can be used NO or NC.
View attachment 276044
I have done the same sort of thing which is why I liked these switches so much. They are cheap and fit the breadboard very well, highly recommended.