A most unusual 96 pole generator. Let's get it working.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
that's a bald statement. I would like you to demonstrate more underlying knowledge before I go again second guess my self.

let me phrase it like this then.

What do you think thins arrangement can churn out in terms of volts. given 100 winds per coil. And having .350 tesla field strength running over them at 192hZ

i think I know because I have been slaving nights at end in my garage doing experiments.

Still, I really want one to keep contributing. But let's keep it more fundated if we can ok?
Volts without a load or power with a load?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Can you please back that up with scientific data? or, as I know that kind of stuf is hard to get by, at least motivate that a bit more?
I'll ask you the same question, can you back your claims up with data? Not just what you have experienced but real data. Data from ones own experiments is not always acceptable. And never scientifically accepted.

There are accepted ways of getting a stronger field that have been proven over time, Mounting your magnets on a ferrous metal disc (since for some reason you have fixated on axial flow generation) Using the metal as what is called "back iron". Back iron effectively makes each pair of poles into a simulation of a horse shoe magnet. Horse shoe magnets have the highest magnetic fields of any either permanent magnets or electromagnets.

You will or should also get a higher output from a distributed winding of your coils. This is due to the same coil getting magnetic input from more than one place at the same time.

There have been people trying to do this for a long long time, and I'd be willing to bet someone before you has tried your experiment. The failures usually don't make headlines, unless they fail spectacularly. Only the ones that are works that work get into the mainstream.

There are a lot of papers on axial machines out there but not many axial machines get used in reality. Mainly because they have to be so much bigger than a radial type.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Thank you, @shortus, running out of time and motivation on this thread. I've been busy teaching a company how to find suppliers in China. The jaws dropping when they realized some Chinese PCB companies serving the DIY and prototyping community existed was pretty funny.

quitenoob

Joined Mar 27, 2022
I'll ask you the same question, can you back your claims up with data? Not just what you have experienced but real data. Data from ones own experiments is not always acceptable. And never scientifically accepted.

There are accepted ways of getting a stronger field that have been proven over time, Mounting your magnets on a ferrous metal disc (since for some reason you have fixated on axial flow generation) Using the metal as what is called "back iron". Back iron effectively makes each pair of poles into a simulation of a horse shoe magnet. Horse shoe magnets have the highest magnetic fields of any either permanent magnets or electromagnets.

You will or should also get a higher output from a distributed winding of your coils. This is due to the same coil getting magnetic input from more than one place at the same time.

There have been people trying to do this for a long long time, and I'd be willing to bet someone before you has tried your experiment. The failures usually don't make headlines, unless they fail spectacularly. Only the ones that are works that work get into the mainstream.

There are a lot of papers on axial machines out there but not many axial machines get used in reality. Mainly because they have to be so much bigger than a radial type.
;) I am not going to enterain that at the moment as I am not asking about that. If one wants to derail me and my mission than I would kindaly ask to only do so with data that convinces me.

In general I do have an actual question.

Should I go single phase coil?
The pros;
* easy to wind.
* can stay flat
* because of flatness can be exposed to more flux
* I can then use ferromagnetic filament when printing the coil holders
The cons;
* hahahahha single phase. that's so last millennia.

Or indeed plow through and go 3 phase.
The pros;
* it seems to be the deafault
The cons
* hard to wind in tight spaces
* now I need 3 transformers rather than one.

Any ideas are very welcome

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If one wants to derail me and my mission than I would kindaly ask to only do so with data that convinces me.
You mean like the members trying to help you with you homemade transformer. You come here asking questions or for help but seem to already have your mind made up that you know more than all that have gone before you. So sad.

quitenoob

Joined Mar 27, 2022
Let me try to explain then how I perceive what went on here. Perhaps I did see it not correctly.

I wanted to learn about 2 aspects about my generator.
Because I can't help my self I posted way more than is needed to have those questions answerable.
I ended up being asked for more details about why I the generator is arranged in an unusual manner.
I ended up telling more about that.
I ended up being told that I have to prove something I never asked about in the first place.

If this is not how things went then please please tell me how you all have interpreted how things went. Let me learn from my mistakes please.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Let me try to explain then how I perceive what went on here. Perhaps I did see it not correctly.

I wanted to learn about 2 aspects about my generator.
Because I can't help my self I posted way more than is needed to have those questions answerable.
I ended up being asked for more details about why I the generator is arranged in an unusual manner.
I ended up telling more about that.
I ended up being told that I have to prove something I never asked about in the first place.

If this is not how things went then please please tell me how you all have interpreted how things went. Let me learn from my mistakes please.
Experiment, learn, experiment, learn, experiment, understand.
A lesson learned through your own mistakes is a lesson understood.
good luck.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
https://javalab.org/en/magnetic_force_en/ <– the simulator should color(-shade) gradients , but is better than nothing (you can re-pos.-n the mag.-s by mouse)
by https://www.google.com/search?q=simulate+generator+magnetic+circuit+design+online
the N-NS-S alignmet forces the field lines into a tight thin "disc" - but the energy at the center -sheet/-plane of such decreases linearly by the radius and in far+wide field it still decreases by square of the radius dependency - which (the least) you need to account with moving components interaction . . . and again - the coils have inductance e.g. the instantaneous ∆I at momentary mag.-ic disk-field pass approaches 0

Last edited:

quitenoob

Joined Mar 27, 2022
https://javalab.org/en/magnetic_force_en/ <– the simulator should color(-shade) gradients , but is better than nothing (you can re-pos.-n the mag.-s by mouse)
by https://www.google.com/search?q=simulate+generator+magnetic+circuit+design+online
the N-NS-S alignmet forces the field lines into a tight thin "disc" - but the energy at the center -sheet/-plane of such decreases linearly by the radius and in far+wide field it still decreases by square of the radius dependency - which (the least) you need to account with moving components interaction . . . and again - the coils have inductance e.g. the instantaneous ∆I at momentary mag.-ic disk-field pass approaches 0
Thank you for the input. May I please ask to what end? are we still focussing on my questions?

quitenoob

Joined Mar 27, 2022
I'll ask you the same question, can you back your claims up with data?
You can always ask. But it will only demonstrate you have not been focusing on what is important to this thread.
It demonstrates you attract the likes of people that also demonstrate not to focus.

So let's get back to the matter hand shall we?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So let's get back to the matter hand shall we?
The matter at hand seems to be you want a pat on the back for your "discovery".

You can always ask. But it will only demonstrate you have not been focusing on what is important to this thread.
It demonstrates you attract the likes of people that also demonstrate not to focus.
You giving "gut feelings" on how things work are in no way setting a focus on your problems. You ask for proof that what your told is the truth but won't even try yourself to find out. Proving a negative, your ideas, is not going to happen. But many people in this and your other thread have tried to steer you in a more positive direction, but since it doesn't fit your "gut feelings" it can't be true. If you are so sure of your "gut feeling" be the only way why ask a group of random people you don't know?

If you were really willing to get your "gut feeling" to work or prove they can work, you would get one of the many Magnetic Design Simulators and try to get a working or non working simulation. But if it ends up not workable who could you blame? Doing things the way you have been you can always say, "there was this guy that talked me out of my ideas or put me down".

quitenoob

Joined Mar 27, 2022
yeah, I do not like to be ganged up upon with help of higher powers.

So I am going to not entertain this thread any longer.

For those that want to ask actual questions and/or are interested in results you can always start a conversation with me.

The level has sunk so low at the moment. Be proud boys! I know I am

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Poor baby. You can't seem to even help yourself. the magnets, If they are as shown don't do what you think they do field wise. Use the app in the first link ci139 gave you in post #50, rearange the poles on one magnet to show what you have and you may understand. But I have my doubts because it doesn't align with your "gut".

You No one is picking on you, Even a place like K&J will give you a lot of information, but a simulator will do more. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

No one is picking on you, that is just the way you think because we don't agree with your gut feelings but with the real proven world. Permanent magnets have been around for much longer than you have.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Do you understand that it is not the strength of the field going through the coil, but rather the change in strength over time that produces the output current?

You generate the most power when the direction of the field is reversing periodically. Your arrangement gives a near constant field around the circumference.

Bob

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
btw, you have got some wicked drawing skills. As I have moved away from windows to linux I still have not found a program that let's me easily do stuff like that.
Any suggestions anyone?
On Linux:

draw.io (https://www.diagrams.net/) use online or download an install-able package.
LibreOffice Draw
Inkscape
QCAD
FreeCAD
SolveSpace
These are all vector drawing (lines and shapes) tools or full 2D or 3D CAD software.

You don't really want to use bitmap (raster) editors for diagrams. But far better than MS Paint is:
Krita

Who needs Windows?