A Merry Christmas to all!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Awww... back from friends and family and food and fun.

Bill_Marsden: I suspect those are both cats now. What are they, Russian Blues?

Yes, almost full adults now. Both brothers and it was so much fun to watch them together as playful kittens in the same life stage playing the same games with each other. We also have an older cat, also gray, also a rescue, who is standoffish but these two have been getting her to play some more.

Perhaps they have some Russian Blue in them, while their eyes are yellow the do have a green ring around the iris. But I've read a white spot on the neck rulls out entirely them being a true Blue, and I doubt you'll every find a pedigree kitten running loose in a bush in a parking lot.

No matter, they are the sweetest kitties in the world and I am blessed to have them.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
HO ! HO ! HO ! HO ! HO !

to all AAC members. :D

And wish you all a Prosperous, Helpful, Delightful and Good health 2012 to u all.

And also a wish to wish away the doomsday year, so we can have another year and so on & so forth...:p

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Awww... back from friends and family and food and fun.

Bill_Marsden: I suspect those are both cats now. What are they, Russian Blues?

Yes, almost full adults now. Both brothers and it was so much fun to watch them together as playful kittens in the same life stage playing the same games with each other.
Actually thats been proven to not just be playing. Its supposed to be crucial part in their training to hunt.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Like I said, the soothsayer or the witch may be ....or who ever they had then with some level of intelligence died when he or she was doing the calendar thing.

So Naturally Mayan's felt that the earth will also die according to the prediction dates
Stupid Mayans.....

Wait...wait....11.11.11 and 12.12.12 right...there is no 13 month even then. it has always been rounded to 12..

Bloody hell...the Mayans got stuck at 12.

HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA ! HA !

Man they really are stupid....and you all think they are soooo great......I knew from the very beginning how the calendar was formed. but I didn't wanna talk about it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Say what you will, the Mayans were excellent astronomers, not to be confused with astrology. They were also fair mathematicians.

Far as I know, their form of string writing has never been figured out, though their unique form of stone masonry was duplicated in the late 20th Century.

I do not think they were predicting the end of the world, they were just letting an old calendar expire, which would have been replaced in due time with a new one.

For all their sophistication they were still in the stone age. I have met people who confused lack of technology (which they actually had) with intelligence.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on how you define know. They left writing we can't currently read, they left buildings we didn't used to know how to make, we have already figured a lot out, given time there is a lot more that we could learn.

It is a mistake to think knowledge is static, or our knowledge is complete. Humans have much to learn, which does not make what we have already learn less somehow.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Is my knowledge of electronics insufficient? Actually for me it is, many people know a lot more than I, which does not diminish my knowledge a bit.

I have lived 55 years, there is a lot I know that I don't know I know. I have done a lot of things in that time, some practical, some ludicrous.

Why would you assume I am ignorant? Or humanity as a whole is for that matter?

Humanity has walked on the surface of the moon, and has made a fair start exploring the bottom of the ocean. We have seen to the beginning of the universe, and can imagine colonizing it all. We are still learning a ethics system that works for all, but we are trying. We understand what powers the sun, and are trying to understand the outer edges of our solar system and beyond with real working probes. We have a true global communications network that tyrants are finding difficult to contend with, you are using it now.

Life is not simple, but some of the basics are.

We have much to learn, but have learned much.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
All technologically advanced nations will eventually self destruct. They have abandoned resilience and would not be able to cope in a time of crisis.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why so negative?

I am a very depressed person, but I have great hopes for humanity. Fact is, this is a better world than it was 400 years ago. It is a better world than it was 200 years ago.

There are up and downs, but overall we are improving. The United States may not last, but we are not the world.

I tend towards Heinlein's POV in many ways.

You talk like our culture in monolithic. It is not. There are many people, intelligent, educated people, who live deep withing the United States and share very few values of city folk. This is our strength.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am not trying to be negative. I am trying to tell everyone to wake up. If we want a better future we all have to do our part and make this place a better world. It all begins with one person. Be happy with what you have and practice the Golden Rule. Peace man.

May the true meaning of Christmas fill your heart with happiness the whole year!